Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: katmai on March 24, 2014, 06:35:58 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 24, 2014, 06:29:03 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 24, 2014, 06:27:03 PM
Why are you guys arguing with Russia's mouthpiece? :unsure:
:wacko:
I want Ukraine to succeed.  I want Russia to be a normal country that doesn't murder its best citizens or invade it's neighbors.  These aren't completely at odds; if anything I think it is now obvious that a non-evil Russia would probably help a lot in Ukrainian development.
:lmfao:
Yeah, well, Henry Morgenthau thought Germany was such a unique, special kind of evil that completely deindustrializing the nation was the only long-term solution.  Permanent immiseration is never an ideal. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2014, 06:38:58 PM
How does Ukraine's demographic situation compare to Georgia's?
They're completely different countries in a whole bunch of ways. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Queequeg on March 24, 2014, 06:47:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2014, 06:38:58 PM
How does Ukraine's demographic situation compare to Georgia's?
They're completely different countries in a whole bunch of ways.
:hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

derspiess

I still wanna hear how Ukrainian labor is expensive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Queequeg

Fine, fine.

1) Breakaway Georgian areas were economically marginal, and populated by ethnicities completely distinct from Georgians.  Georgians have been around since the Ice Age.  Georgians as a whole are supportive of greater EU and NATO ties.
2) Related.  Tblisi isn't the birthplace of the Rus'.  Tblisi is Tblisi.  It's vaguely in Russia's sphere of influence but the vast majority of Russians and a substantial number of the people of the other country don't look at Russians as countrymen. 
3) Georgia and Armenia were the Soviet equivalent of California.  A lot of tech industry, well educated people, resorts. 
4) Georgia has substantial expat and emigre community and is already pretty well integrated in to global economy after Saakashvili's reforms. 

Georgia has a lot more in common with Estonia than it does with Ukraine. 

Queequeg

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2014, 06:52:02 PM
I still wanna hear how Ukrainian labor is expensive.
1) Compared to SE Asia?
2) They support pensioners. 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 24, 2014, 06:57:07 PM
Considering the situation, I should get a discount.

For you, Moose AND Sqvirrel.  Ees gud deal, no?

Admiral Yi

I feel like I'm sitting in the first car of the ADHD roller coaster.

Queequeg

I'm exhausted and I'm arguing against half the board, give me a break.   :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2014, 06:59:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 24, 2014, 06:57:07 PM
Considering the situation, I should get a discount.

For you, Moose AND Sqvirrel.  Ees gud deal, no?

Da!

The Larch

The life expectancy for male Ukranians is 66 years, not many pensions will be needed.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on March 24, 2014, 07:02:57 PM
The life expectancy for male Ukranians is 66 years, not many pensions will be needed.

Boy, GM would've liked that for its workers.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on March 24, 2014, 07:01:01 PM
I'm exhausted and I'm arguing against half the board, give me a break.   :rolleyes:

You don't like it, cossack, take it over to Languish.ru  :P