News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26643141

QuotePro-Russian activists have entered a Ukrainian naval base in the Crimean city of Sevastopol.

Russian flags have been seen flying from buildings, the headquarters of the Ukrainian navy.

It comes a day after Crimean leaders signed a treaty with Russia absorbing the peninsula into the Russian Federation after a disputed referendum.

The government in Kiev, the EU and the US, among others, have said they will not recognise the move.

On Monday, the US and the EU imposed sanctions on several officials from Russia and Ukraine accused of involvement in Moscow's actions in the Black Sea peninsula.

The Ukrainian crisis began last November after pro-Russia President Viktor Yanukovych ditched an EU deal in favour of stronger ties with Moscow.

He fled Ukraine on 22 February after protests in which more than 80 people were killed.

Pro-Russia armed men then took effective control of Crimea which has been part of Ukraine since 1954 but has a predominantly ethnic Russian population.

The Crimean port city of Sevastopol is home to the Russian Black Sea fleet.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

And in another "but they started it":

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/724337

QuoteForeign Ministry: US, EU violate commitments under Budapest memorandum

MOSCOW, March 19. /ITAR-TASS/. US, EU actively connived with government coup in Kiev, thereby acting against Ukraine's political independence and sovereignty in violation of commitments under Budapest memorandum — Russian Foreign Ministry.

Also, why does the Russian Foreign Ministry look like an evil fortress?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Crimean Tatars will be forced required to vacate some of their land. Yeah, give up homes, businesses, schools, communities. Will the Russians designate a special gulag for them if they choose not to give in to demands? As the article points out, the Tatars have been sent to Siberia before. Nothing much to stop the Russian govt now. If they're willing to take the hit on taking over Crimea and probably parts of eastern Ukraine next, plus their actions in Georgia and elsewhere previously, why would trampling any group like the Tatars faze the Russkies now when they're on a roll?

Syt

Oops.

BBC:

QuoteVideo has emerged of what appears to the head of Ukraine's state TV company being beaten up in his offices by MPs from the far-right Svoboda party. After roughing up Aleksandr Panteleymonov, the men force him to sign his resignation. Euronews says one of those involved in the assault is the deputy head of Ukraine's committee on freedom of speech.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

http://obozrevatel.com/politics/15083-predstavitel-rf-v-evroparlamente-rossiya-namerena-prisoedinit-alyasku-stranyi-baltii-finlyandiyu-i-polshu.htm

"Russian representative in the Council of Europe: Russia will regain Alaska , the Baltic countries , Finland and Poland"

:lol:

Can any Russian speaker confirm the link, please?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

And all of Moldovia and the rest of Ukraine, of course. But it seems he's just some tool who got all glory-to-Russia on Facebook, hardly anything worth noting.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on March 19, 2014, 12:15:05 PM
This article is really interesting, though for some reason I am having trouble posting it.

I both buy, and don't buy, the article.

To me it seems to boil down to this: Ukraine is not Poland because Ukraine has not been offered a clear and direct path to EU membership.

The problem with that analysis is that it seems if Ukraine was offered such a clear and direct path, the analysis would substantially change.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 19, 2014, 12:43:51 PM
Her eyes are not big enough.

Check the other pics in that article. :P

Edit:

Grey Fox

Ok, now Lettow is moving to Crimean Russia!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.