And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on March 14, 2014, 08:09:28 AM
- Russia offers recognition of East Ukrainian borders in exchange for Crimea

It seems a bit silly for them to double-extra-promise to respect Ukraine's borders when they had promised to do so before & obviously haven't.  Not that I couldn't see the Russians trying it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 08:30:06 AM

It seems a bit silly for them to double-extra-promise to respect Ukraine's borders when they had promised to do so before & obviously haven't.  Not that I couldn't see the Russians trying it.

It is a quid-pro-quo.  You give us a province and we will give you nothing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 08:30:06 AM

I hope someone is checking to see if Putin has his fingers crossed behind his back....

derspiess

I think this crisis may be over soon:  John Kerry has threatened Russia with vague repercussions if Russia doesn't vaguely de-escalate the Ukraine situation.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2014, 07:54:37 AM
Roman Polanski does pretty well without being in Russia.
Yes, there are other places he can be in without being extradited, but he can't get to those place without first being somewhere where he would be.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 08:45:47 AM
I think this crisis may be over soon:  John Kerry has threatened Russia with vague repercussions if Russia doesn't vaguely de-escalate the Ukraine situation.

I took that to mean if Russia does not retreat at once Kerry will personally lay waste to the Volga aboard his swift boat.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Gotta` admit Putin knows how to build a dictatorship. Since everybody abroad has drawn the conclusion that he is the big bad guy, and generally occupied with the shit in Ukraine, this is indeed the perfect timing to crack down on the meagre remains of free press back home.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2014, 08:51:29 AM
I took that to mean if Russia does not retreat at once Kerry will personally lay waste to the Volga aboard his swift boat.

He ought to threaten Russia with all the stuff he accused US soldiers of doing in Vietnam in his 1971 Senate testimony.  The Genghis Khan part ought to resonate with them.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 09:37:53 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2014, 08:51:29 AM

He ought to threaten Russia with all the stuff he accused US soldiers of doing in Vietnam in his 1971 Senate testimony.  The Genghis Khan part ought to resonate with them.

Sounds good.  If we cannot be loved we shall be feared.

derspiess

Not sure how common this was before, but NATO has had AWACS patrolling near the Poland-Ukraine and Romania-Ukraine borders the past few days.

Razgovory

Unhappy that he's not giving over half the country?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2014, 10:18:23 AM

Huh?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 10:25:04 AM

Huh?

I thought you position was that the Russian speaking part of the Ukraine should probably join Russia.  Or do you still "stand with Rand", which is to say your position changes every day?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Oh, I guess I stepped on the Raz tripwire by lightly criticizing a Democrat.

How has my stance on Ukraine changed each day?  And what does Rand have to do with it?

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2014, 10:27:09 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 10:25:04 AM

Huh?

I thought you position was that the Russian speaking part of the Ukraine should probably join Russia.  Or do you still "stand with Rand", which is to say your position changes every day?

Where the hell did that come from.  :huh: Take a nap Raz.