News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

The only wildcard here is if the Ukrainians themselves kick the Russians in the nuts militarily.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

PJL

Quote from: Tamas on March 03, 2014, 08:52:41 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 03, 2014, 08:27:54 AM
So. Will Putin be content to consolidate the situation in Crimea? Or will he go after Eastern Ukraine, too? Or even further than that?

As I mentioned, anything than whole (with a puppet government) or most of Ukraine would be a failure for him. No Eurasian Union without the Ukraine and whatever he leaves of the country will end up with NATO, so militarily he will end being in a worse situation unless he goes all the way.

I think you may be right in your analysis. Certainly the rhetoric coming from Russia is about regime change. So basically installing a puppet government in the Ukraine as you said.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on March 03, 2014, 09:32:59 AM
I don't think we should be sending troops to the Ukraine.

A CVBG to the Black Sea would be ok though.

I know next to nothing about how military stuff works, but is that a good idea? A CVBG against goofballs like Iraq and Iran is one thing, but isn't a CVBG off the coast of Russia as much of a target as a menace?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

I'm not up to speed, but IIRC traversing the Bosphorus straits with military ships is an international law minefield.

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on March 03, 2014, 09:40:18 AM

I know next to nothing about how military stuff works, but is that a good idea? A CVBG against goofballs like Iraq and Iran is one thing, but isn't a CVBG off the coast of Russia as much of a target as a menace?

I'd guess the moment an US carrier is sunk by Russians it's time to head to the underground bunkers.

DGuller

Quote from: Legbiter on March 03, 2014, 09:37:39 AM
The only wildcard here is if the Ukrainians themselves kick the Russians in the nuts militarily.
I don't see how that's likely.  The Russian military may or may not be a hollow shell of its former self, but it's not like Ukraine is immune from the same forces.

Tonitrus

In Russian news....

- Air base in Crimea with 45 Mig-29s defect to defend their autonomous homeland! (only 4 of them are serviceable' by the way).

Sheilbh

For the Russophones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-gVYupMRBs
QuoteVideo has been posted online of the extraordinary meeting at which Rear Admiral Denis Berezovsky, who defected to the Russian-supported Crimean authorities, one day after being appointed Ukrainian navy commander-in-chief, tried unsuccessfully to persuade other officers to follow in his footsteps. At the meeting he was denounced as a traitor by his replacement as navy chief commander, Serhiy Haiduk.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: DGuller on March 03, 2014, 09:44:27 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 03, 2014, 09:37:39 AM
I don't see how that's likely.  The Russian military may or may not be a hollow shell of its former self, but it's not like Ukraine is immune from the same forces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLtF_PxbYw

Ukraine's not weak.  :sleep:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 03, 2014, 09:47:45 AM
At the meeting he was denounced as a traitor by his replacement as navy chief commander, Serhiy Haiduk.

No kidding.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on March 03, 2014, 09:42:52 AM
I'd guess the moment an US carrier is sunk by Russians it's time to head to the underground bunkers.

I agree. However, I really doubt that the Russians are going to allow a US carrier to freely attack Russian targets off its coast.

Viking

Deathtrap. The CVBG can operate out of the med. But, don't forget, CVBG Poland. It has airfields, a historical positive relationship with Ukraine, and alliance with the US and a grudge against Russia.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: alfred russel on March 03, 2014, 09:54:13 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 03, 2014, 09:42:52 AM

I agree. However, I really doubt that the Russians are going to allow a US carrier to freely attack Russian targets off its coast.

Mike Rogers was correct on this, sending a CVBG makes no sense, and it doesn't. It's kind of irrelevant as to whether the Black Sea is a death trap or not though, if Russian and U.S. forces actually started to exchange fire we'd be talking about the most serious international incident since WW2. It's not like we'd actually attack Russian forces for that reason, or vice versa. So it's just a pointless saber rattling.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on March 03, 2014, 05:18:52 AM

Ukraine's acting President Turchinov meets with William Hague in Kiev this morning (Reuters)

They should wear matching suits and ties!

What is up with Brits looking just like East European leaders?

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Starting to think we should be setting up NATO bases in the new members - like Poland and the Baltics.
Let's bomb Russia!