News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 12:28:57 PM
That makes no sense...they have a perfectly fine base they could have troops defending their Black Sea Fleet with.  Probably setting up to seize the province if it comes to that, the airport would be an important piece of infrastructure to control in that context.

Of course its just a BS excuse. They have their troops at the airport, the TV/radio tower, and IIRC at the northern "tight" entrance of the peninsula as well. Already you cannot do shit with the Crimea without fighting through Russian troops. The annexation is as good as done.

But Merkel, Cameron, and some main EU guy was on the phone with Putin and they "agreed to coordinate on the matter" :rolleyes: If this goes like this Putin will walk away again as the winner, and grass-brassed bear-tackling hero for his people.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2014, 12:40:01 PM
The West is going to have to make a decision about this fairly quickly I would think

My prediction is for them dithering and doing nothing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on February 28, 2014, 12:42:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2014, 12:40:01 PM
The West is going to have to make a decision about this fairly quickly I would think

My prediction is for them dithering and doing nothing.

Yeah, there'll be a conference call, someone will ask, "Is it worth it?", the others will go, "meh", and they will write a stern letter, and maybe put some meaningless travel restrictions on a handful of people.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2014, 10:01:25 AM
So Ukraine was dumb for giving up its huge nuke arsenal in exchange for the guarantee? 

Pretty much.

Tamas

Well yeah the problem is with calling Putin's bluff is that if it is not a bluff, it can go out of hand faster than you could say "nuclear shelter"

Caliga

Will we then declare: PEACE IN OUR TIME  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2014, 12:50:38 PM
Well yeah the problem is with calling Putin's bluff is that if it is not a bluff, it can go out of hand faster than you could say "nuclear shelter"

Yeah, the analysis I am hearing is that it isnt a bluff at all but that Putin's hand is forced by the fact he cant give any hope to others that might want greater autonomy within Russia.

If anyone is bluffing it is and will be the West.

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 12:50:49 PM
Will we then declare: PEACE IN OUR TIME  :cool:

Putin has no other demands in Europe, I am sure.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 12:45:03 PM
Well what the hell do we do?

We have options,  it just depends on what we have the will to do. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 12:52:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 12:45:03 PM
Well what the hell do we do?

We have options,  it just depends on what we have the will to do.

What will become certain, however, which should have been certain for quite a while now, is that Russia is still the same aggressively expanding power it has ever been since Muscovy started growing.

What I hope the West will walk away from this pending disaster is the determination to curb Russian interest in any way possible, including decreasing European reliance on Russian gas.

Tamas

Syt

Looking at Putin, I would think he has a plan in place that will let him come out as savior of the peace/day/Russia without too much real effort, kind of like he orchestrated it with Syria's chemical weapons.

EDIT: the way to do it is to put the West in a position where they will look bad if they step in, so he has to discredit the new government and make them the bad guys in some way or other.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2014, 12:54:41 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 12:53:39 PM
This is terrifying.

Well you are the Russia fanboi. :P Enjoy it :P

The thing that terrified him was Valmy's comment that the West has options