News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 08:05:01 AM
It's not a legitimate claim if you gave it away.
I think there is.  It was given away by Soviet Union, not Mother Russia!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2014, 06:10:42 AM
Did not Russia pull the exact same shit with Kosovo? They landed paratroopers at the airport there, didn't they? And basically the way to deal with them was to ignore them and bomb the shit out of Serbia regardless?

General Clark had another way to deal with them. I'd call his plan Operation Jack Ripper. Like in the movie it was undone by a British officer.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2014, 10:01:25 AM
So Ukraine was dumb for giving up its huge nuke arsenal in exchange for the guarantee?  :hmm: That won't play well with the opponents of nuclear proliferation.

It is not that simple.  Some sort of deal will be worked out.  We are not going to drop in the Marines to hold every inch of Ukrainian soil is all I am saying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

So Ukraine was dumb for giving up its huge nuke arsenal in exchange for the guarantee?  :hmm: That won't play well with the opponents of nuclear proliferation.

I guess we need to go to war with Russia then. Not only will that boost the cause of nuclear non proliferation, but if our first strike is successful, we will actually roll back Russia as a nuclear power.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Still working on my RV for the post nuclear American roads.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PJL

Quote from: KRonn on February 28, 2014, 08:07:41 AM
Looks like things are shaping up for another Crimean war, with outside powers getting involved, again!   ;)

We're not going to get involved, unless Russian armies threaten Constantinople again...

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 09:49:40 AM
Just your average militia type there.  Your common Crimean probably has all that kit just lying around the house.

An AK-74M with Picatinny rails and a red/green dot sight?

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 28, 2014, 11:26:39 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 09:49:40 AM
Just your average militia type there.  Your common Crimean probably has all that kit just lying around the house.

An AK-74M with Picatinny rails and a red/green dot sight?

I was kidding.  He's obviously Russian armed forces.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 09:34:24 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2014, 09:18:58 AM
Let's say the worst happens, some radio station in Russia gets attacked, and Russia responds militarily.  What are the odds that US and Britain will go back on their 1994 treaty to guarantee the territorial integrity of Ukraine?
We are not going to seriously oppose Russians, beyond our compulsive need to piss them off as much as possible.  At the end of the day the Russians still have nukes.  The Ukraine should not be counting on NATO troops to die for them.
The opponents of nuclear proliferation are living in a dream land.  The simple fact of the matter is that the western nuclear powers will do absolutely nothing for anybody who is going to be invaded by China and Russia.  The only solution for places like the Ukraine or Japan is to build nuclear weapons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 10:01:31 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 08:05:01 AM
It's not a legitimate claim if you gave it away.
I think there is.  It was given away by Soviet Union, not Mother Russia!

Actually it was given away by the Russian SFSR to the Ukrainian SSR.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

That makes no sense...they have a perfectly fine base they could have troops defending their Black Sea Fleet with.  Probably setting up to seize the province if it comes to that, the airport would be an important piece of infrastructure to control in that context.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

From what I've read, Russia is still not owning up to their airport shenanigans.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Looks like the Russians came after all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

The West is going to have to make a decision about this fairly quickly I would think