And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2014, 05:13:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 05:10:15 PM
I am more skeptical that the new found commitment to peace by the government is just a tactic to buy time to put more loyal troops into the West.

I dunno - Yanukovych has shown a willingness to negotiate, on multiple occasions.

It's just that he appears unwilling to make any concessions that would limit his own power as president.

So he'd talk but he probably wouldn't actually negotiate in good faith.  My gut sez he's just trying to buy a little time.

Oh crap, I just realized CC & I apparently agree on something :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 05:18:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2014, 05:13:39 PM
I am more skeptical that the new found commitment to peace by the government is just a tactic to buy time to put more loyal troops into the West.

I dunno - Yanukovych has shown a willingness to negotiate, on multiple occasions.

It's just that he appears unwilling to make any concessions that would limit his own power as president.

So he'd talk but he probably wouldn't actually negotiate in good faith.  My gut sez he's just trying to buy a little time.

Yes, probably trying to buy time too.  If he wanted to just go all Tiannamen Square he would've done that a long time ago.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Lets not speak of this

Maximus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2014, 05:08:48 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 19, 2014, 05:04:20 PM
Truce confirmed.

http://www.president.gov.ua/en/news/30111.html
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm very skeptical that the country can be pulled back from so close to the brink after all the violence we saw yesterday. Once these dynamics get started they're really hard to stop.
I pretty skeptical myself. 24 hours ago, maybe, but now I don't know...

Apparently an opposition politician threatened Yanukovych with a Qaddafi on live TV, can't seem to find it now but that seems to be the state of emotion there.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 05:04:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2014, 04:58:19 PM
And why the tears for Ukrainian Greek Catholics?  There are a whole parcel of active Uniate churches going in Edmonton and Alberta, for example.

Really?  You have to ask why people might feel sympathy for them?

As a committed Orange man any response to a catholic that doesn't involve driving them out of the country is confusing to BB.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 06:05:34 PM
Battle aftermath:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYvM_aIc4Y.  Not for the faint of heart.

They need to stop throwing ketchup bottles at each other.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Battle aftermath:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYvM_aIc4Y.  Not for the faint of heart.

The riot cops are surprisingly unhostile to the good guys and surprisingly indifferent to film crews. :huh:

I'm more accustomed to seeing them batoning crippled guys trying to crawl away and TV crews.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2014, 06:10:58 PM

The riot cops are surprisingly unhostile to the good guys and surprisingly indifferent to film crews. :huh:

I'm more accustomed to seeing them batoning crippled guys trying to crawl away and TV crews.

I was a bit confused as to who was who.  All those head wounds tell me neither side was engaging in minimal force protocals.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2014, 06:10:09 PM

They need to stop throwing ketchup bottles at each other.

How nice of the police to help them. That's customer service.  :thumbsup:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

A couple of Berkut guys were screaming in Russian at the film crews, and telling to get to get the fuck out, but generally, it did seem a little surreal.  Unless those Berkut guys went over on the other side, which is highly unlikely, the two sides did seem to at least cease fire after the bloodbath and work together on evacuating the wounded.

alfred russel

Probably, but I doubt the protestors can really win. Either by continuing with the status quo or escalating to a civil war.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2014, 06:22:08 PM

Probably, but I doubt the protestors can really win. Either by continuing with the status quo or escalating to a civil war.
Not alone, no.  But then again, Egyptian protesters didn't accomplish anything on their own either, but eventually the army went over on their side, and peace and prosperity followed.  :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2014, 06:22:08 PM

Why do you think that?

grumbler

That happened to me last week.  I eventually decided to blow it off as a one-in-a-million happenstance.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!