Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

And you can relive the moment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKYJdHe4xo

Ed, if it wasnt for your peculiar physiological reactions these days - I would suggest you start watching about 8:00

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 03:10:17 PM
My guess is because it was a culturally Ukrainian city.  The Interwar Poles did not treat Galicia well either, and did not consider it their core territory, though in hindsight they turned out to be somewhat more benign masters than the Soviets.

Really? My understanding of the history of Lviv is not extensive, however, I thought that pre WWII it was primarily Polish. The Poles lost Lviv but gained german cities in the west.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Some serious shit going down in Khmelnitsky.  Protesters surround the SBU (Ukrainian KGB) building, someone from inside the building fires on the crowd, killing a woman (the video is on Youtube).  Protesters evidently set the building on fire, blocked all exits, and turned off the water to the building.  I don't think they let those inside out yet. :unsure:

Admiral Yi

These towns popping up in the news, are they generally located in the west, or spread out?

DGuller

Obama issues an unambiguous warning that there may be consequences that could potentially be severe for those guilty of violence in Ukraine.  :mad:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 04:06:33 PM
Some serious shit going down in Khmelnitsky.  Protesters surround the SBU (Ukrainian KGB) building, someone from inside the building fires on the crowd, killing a woman (the video is on Youtube).  Protesters evidently set the building on fire, blocked all exits, and turned off the water to the building.  I don't think they let those inside out yet. :unsure:
I read that that trade union hall that was burnt down had 110 seriously wounded protestors in it. This may be retaliation for that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2014, 04:10:06 PM
These towns popping up in the news, are they generally located in the west, or spread out?
Generally in the West, but then there are cities like Sumy, that are as far east as you can go.

Razgovory

I looked at the BBC website and they have a whole section of the of the city devoted to burning Tyres.  It's a good thing Jos isn't there, he'd be in deep shit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2014, 04:11:18 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 04:06:33 PM
I read that that trade union hall that was burnt down had 110 seriously wounded protestors in it. This may be retaliation for that?
Doubtful, the SBU situation is still ongoing, and it's not entirely clear what's going on there.  I don't really think the protesters would really try to burn out SBU people, even in retaliation for the murder of one of their own.  Then again, in that particular case, the police are actually cheering them on, so who knows how bold they're feeling?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Maximus on February 19, 2014, 12:41:45 PM
Apparently Lviv has declared independence.
Here's some specifics
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ukraine-facing-civil-war-lviv-declares-independence-yanukovich-rule-1437092

QuoteUkraine Facing Civil War: Lviv Declares Independence from Yanukovich Rule

By Gianluca Mezzofiore , February 19, 2014 12:49 PM GMT

Ukraine's western region of Lviv has reportedly declared independence from the central government.

Hours after protesters seized the prosecutor's office in central Lviv and forced a surrender by interior ministry police, the executive committee of the region council - also called the People's Rada – claimed control over the region.

"The regime has begun active military action against people. Dozens of people have been killed in Kiev and hundreds have been wounded. Fulfilling the will of society, the executive committee of the Lviv region's council, the People's Rada, is assuming full responsibility for the fate of the region and its citizens," read a statement.

The executive committee was led by Petro Kolodiy, chairman of the Lviv region's council.

Lviv lies close to the border with Poland and was one of the venues for the Euro 2012 football tournament. Over the past months, the city has become a powerful engine driving the insurgency against president Viktor Yanukovich.

The region, which is traditionally hostile to the easterner Yanukovich and favours closer ties with the European Union, has a population of 2.5 million.

The regional assembly in Lviv issued a statement condemning Yanukovich's government for its "open warfare" on demonstrators in Kiev.

Poland said Ukrainians blocked the Korczowa border crossing near Lviv. According to local media, opposition groups in other western cities including Khmelnitsky, Ivano-Frankivsk, Uzhorod and Ternopil, also stormed public buildings.

The opposition stronghold had de facto ousted governor Oleh Salo in January and expelled him from his offices.

The regional council has been in the hands of the opposition since then but this was the first declaration of independence.

Troops with the interior ministry's western region command have been barricaded into their barracks by anti-government reformers.

Ukrainian police on Tuesday moved to clear a protest camp in Kiev's Independence Square, known as the Maidan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Swedes visited Lemberg a couple of times. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Re-opening negotiations with a temporary ceasefire.

Not sure it isn't too late for that.

Admiral Yi