News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Yes, a land war in Asia. Good luck with that, Putin.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/21/world/europe/ukraine.html

Quote[...]

"We have information that Russia has redeployed significant military forces to its border with Ukraine," a senior Obama administration official told reporters on Friday. "Russian Special Forces are also maintaining points along the Ukrainian border to provide support to separatist fighters."

The State Department reported last week that three aging Russian T-64 tanks had been sent to Ukraine, and Ukrainian officials recently told Western officials that 10 more Russian tanks have been provided to Ukrainian separatists. Adding to Western concerns, the senior Obama administration official said, artillery has been moved to a deployment site inside southwest Russia and may soon be shipped across the border.

American officials said Russia was providing older weapons that its forces had phased out but that were known to remain in the Ukrainian military's inventory.

"The desire here is to mask the Russian hand" by allowing Ukrainian separatists to claim the weapons were captured on the battlefield, the administration official said. The official asked not to be identified by name, in line with the Obama administration's protocol for briefing reporters.

Mr. Putin appears to be calculating that he can continue to provide military support to the separatists without triggering tough economic reprisals as long as the Kremlin denies that it is involved and avoids obvious provocations, like sending conventional Russian military units into eastern Ukraine, American officials said.

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

:rolleyes:  You can probably buy those T-64s in most hardware/outdoors shops in eastern Ukraine.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 10:30:25 AM
:rolleyes:  You can probably buy those T-64s in most hardware/outdoors shops in eastern Ukraine.

T-55, T-62, T-64, T-72, T-80, T-90 they all end up burning wreckage in the end.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

They do burn quite well.  T-34s are still kicking in parts of the world, though. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

DGuller

A lot of Russians that are not intimately familiar with history are offended by the notion that Germans had tanks that could crush T-34s.  "Nonsense!  Even American historians say that T-34 was the best tank of the war."   :frusty:

Razgovory

I imagine that the T-34 was most destroyed tank in the war.  They suffered severe losses.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Only because they didn't bolt on the rubber armor.  Thankfully the Serbs figured that out by the 90s (see above pic).

Admiral Yi

That's a lot of track suits sacrificed.  :(

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on June 23, 2014, 04:10:49 PM
A lot of Russians that are not intimately familiar with history are offended by the notion that Germans had tanks that could crush T-34s.  "Nonsense!  Even American historians say that T-34 was the best tank of the war."   :frusty:

There is a subtle difference between being the "best tank to win the war", "best tank to win the battle", "best tank to win the fight" and "best tank to keep the tank crew alive". It certainly was the best tank to win the war, it was almost certainly also the best tank to win the battle. The last two categories, not as much.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I'm not certain the T-34 was the best tank to win the war.  The US produced nearly as many Shermans and weren't taking the kind of loses the Soviets were.  And the Shermans were more versatile, for instance they could be landed on beaches.  Also they had radios, which is really important.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2014, 08:06:52 PM
I'm not certain the T-34 was the best tank to win the war.  The US produced nearly as many Shermans and weren't taking the kind of loses the Soviets were.  And the Shermans were more versatile, for instance they could be landed on beaches.  Also they had radios, which is really important.

Stand in a flat field with Tigers and Panthers on the other end of it.. see how much you like the sherman then.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Yeah.  I really think of the Sherman as more of a light tank or traditional medium tank than a proto-MBT like the T-34 or the Panther. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."