News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2014, 08:18:55 PM
War in the East?  WTF?  Ukraine isn't in the East.  It is in Europe.  If there is a war, it would be "War in Ukraine."

So you're not heard about the 101st getting ready to jump over Volgograd?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Two and a half hours* before the Ukrainian tanks roll?

* I'm working on it being GMT +2 there currently?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 13, 2014, 07:41:18 PM
Given Ukraine's position in the early 90s versus now I feel somewhat comfortable in saying Ukraine probably doesn't deserve to exist. They're extremely weak and it's through years of poor government. If Ukraine was even half a country maybe we the West could do something meaningful, but you can't prop up a house made of papier-mâché. I just hope we use the fall of Ukraine as the reason we finally acknowledge Russia as an enemy and start making Poland the new red line instead of Germany in terms of NATO deployments.
That's exactly how I'm consoling myself.  If we do need to have a sacrificial victim for the first act of this movie, after which everyone realizes how bad the Big Bad really is, then let it be the drug-addicted homeless petty thief with no teeth (who sold his gun many years for a bottle of vodka), rather than a child abuse victim that is growing up and is finally getting her life together.  I just really, really hope that one senseless killing is all it would take for the hero to wake up and go on a victorious rampage.

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2014, 07:54:47 PM
I'm of the opinion that Ukrainian politicians across the board have failed the Ukrainian people. They seem, almost to a man and woman, to have bled their state dry, rather than building it and improving the lives of ordinary people.
That is a very accurate conclusion.  I would also say that Russian "liberals" have a lot of blood on their hands as well, by discrediting themselves with pure incompetence and corruption (not to mention the fact that they had a hand in installing Putin to power).  The biggest enemy of nascent democracies is the incompetence of the democrats.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

And there are fascists among the Ukrainian nationalists :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2014, 09:00:31 PM

That's true of nationalists everywhere, so what?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Razgovory

Seems a bit disingenuous to shriek about "fascists" in Ukraine when Putin keeps around quite a few Liberal Democrat lackeys on the payroll.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2014, 09:00:31 PM

I am not even sure those guys are anything more than modern Euro extreme nationalists than some sort of Nazi revivalist group or actually are demanding a dictatorship in the Ukraine.  But anyway even if they are big fucking deal.  They are a tiny minority.  Even more Putin's ideas are pretty much lifted straight from Mussolini anyway so why quibble?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 13, 2014, 07:41:18 PM
I just hope we use the fall of Ukraine as the reason we finally acknowledge Russia as an enemy and start making Poland the new red line instead of Germany in terms of NATO deployments.

Russia's not as much an enemy as it is a nuisance.  And like so many potato chips in transit, the former Soviet entities are merely settling along traditional ethnic lines after this 20 year hiccup in history.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2014, 09:07:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2014, 08:59:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2014, 08:52:58 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2014, 08:38:52 PM
I thought this was a great piece:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/13/ukrainians-russians-fascists-putin-west-ukraine

People in the west actually think the Ukrainians are Fascists?  Wild.

I suspect that classifying the Ukrainians as fascists allows people to write off the victims of Russian aggression with a cleaner conscious.
A lot of people are buying Putin's line.
The West was never short of useful idiots.  :(

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2014, 08:33:38 PM

That's exactly how I'm consoling myself.  If we do need to have a sacrificial victim for the first act of this movie, after which everyone realizes how bad the Big Bad really is, then let it be the drug-addicted homeless petty thief with no teeth (who sold his gun many years for a bottle of vodka), rather than a child abuse victim that is growing up and is finally getting her life together.  I just really, really hope that one senseless killing is all it would take for the hero to wake up and go on a victorious rampage.

I don't understand. Ukraine must die so that Poland may live?

There is no chance that the west set out on a victorious rampage against Russia. Nuclear fire doesn't smell like victory.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014