And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 10, 2014, 05:04:57 PM
That must've been fairly expensive.

Not cheap, but not out of line for what you pay for premium craft beer these days.  About $8 for a 500ml bottle but well worth it for an occasional indulgence.

QuoteMicrobrewing has hit Norway, and boy, they be brewing. Nøgne Ø were among the first, and they probably know their stuff. But in general, I would be a sceptic to beer from a country with such an amazing deficit of cereals for human consumption as Norway.

It's all about the brewer.  These days you can easily import whatever grains & hops you want, and fiddle with the water chemistry to make anything, anywhere.  Nogne is very popular around here (to the point where you frequently hear arguments over how to pronounce it).  My local store stocks about 15 of their beers, plus Aegir, Haand and I think a couple other brands. 

QuoteIn any case, cheers, man! With some water here, obviously.

Yep :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Beenherebefore

Just for reference, I checked out the price for a 0,44 bottle in stores here, and $8 isn't far off.

Which means a case, which I would need to get drunk, would be 24 x 8. Add to that three packs of cigarettes, something kebab-like late at night and a taxi ride, and a week's salary plus is gone.

The artist formerly known as Norgy

PJL

I still think Russia will move in against Ukraine at some point (possibly in the next two-three weeks, but more likely in the next 2-3 months) at the request of what Russia still sees as the legitimate government of Ukraine (namely Yanukovych). And if the West imposes more sanctions etc, well Putin can always start pointing the nukes towards us again.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PJL on March 12, 2014, 12:11:25 PM
I still think Russia will move in against Ukraine at some point (possibly in the next two-three weeks, but more likely in the next 2-3 months) at the request of what Russia still sees as the legitimate government of Ukraine (namely Yanukovych). And if the West imposes more sanctions etc, well Putin can always start pointing the nukes towards us again.

I think that move would make zero sense following their Crimean gambit.  Why carve out a South Ossetia when they can control all of Georgia?

derspiess

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 12, 2014, 12:11:14 PM
Which means a case, which I would need to get drunk, would be 24 x 8. Add to that three packs of cigarettes, something kebab-like late at night and a taxi ride, and a week's salary plus is gone.

Dang, keep in mind that stuff is 9%ABV.  That amount would be about the equivalent of 15-16 bottles of wine.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Beenherebefore

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2014, 12:17:59 PM
Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 12, 2014, 12:11:14 PM

Dang, keep in mind that stuff is 9%ABV.  That amount would be about the equivalent of 15-16 bottles of wine.

The only one available in stores here is the the 4.5 % stuff. I'd have to hit the liquour store to find the stronger kind, which for very apparent reasons I won't.

Too strong beer is just silly, the point with beer is sitting down and having a few. Not getting completely wasted after a six-pack.

garbon

Probably good idea to not sit at home drinking an entire six-pack (unless it is a party).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PJL

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2014, 12:13:02 PM
Quote from: PJL on March 12, 2014, 12:11:25 PM

I think that move would make zero sense following their Crimean gambit.  Why carve out a South Ossetia when they can control all of Georgia?

Crimea was just phase 1, that's why. A test to see how far the West would react.  Given the lukewarm reaction from the West, Putin feels he can proceed with phase 2.

derspiess

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 12, 2014, 12:23:23 PM
The only one available in stores here is the the 4.5 % stuff. I'd have to hit the liquour store to find the stronger kind, which for very apparent reasons I won't.

Too strong beer is just silly, the point with beer is sitting down and having a few. Not getting completely wasted after a six-pack.

Strong beer is all the rage here.  I like it because the strong ale varieties offer some complexities that the lower ABV beers don't quite have.  Plus you can cellar it if it's above 8% and it may improve with a little age.  And of course the theory is that with higher ABV you drink less of it (which can be tough to do if it's deceptively smooth).

There's also a growing undercurrent at some breweries to offer more "session"-type ales, 3.5-5%.  It's kind of a challenge for those to compete with the heavier beers taste-wise, but some do pull it off quite well.  I'd like to see more of these, as it does make it easier to keep your wits about you without having to consciously nurse your beer.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2014, 12:24:35 PM
Probably good idea to not sit at home drinking an entire six-pack (unless it is a party).

Yeah, that's why I had to get out of the habit of buying 64oz. growlers unless I'm having people over.  Fresh beer is awesome, but you have to drink it within a certain amount of time.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2014, 11:24:16 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2014, 11:22:07 AM
:yeahright: I don't see independence listed there Tamas.

The 1992 Constitution is no longer in effect in Ukraine.

It goes to the old tradition of going back to earlier save games the arabs insist on vs israel.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Beenherebefore

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2014, 12:37:41 PM
Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 12, 2014, 12:23:23 PM

Strong beer is all the rage here.  I like it because the strong ale varieties offer some complexities that the lower ABV beers don't quite have.  Plus you can cellar it if it's above 8% and it may improve with a little age.  And of course the theory is that with higher ABV you drink less of it (which can be tough to do if it's deceptively smooth).

There's also a growing undercurrent at some breweries to offer more "session"-type ales, 3.5-5%.  It's kind of a challenge for those to compete with the heavier beers taste-wise, but some do pull it off quite well.  I'd like to see more of these, as it does make it easier to keep your wits about you without having to consciously nurse your beer.

Or get a a nurse with your beer.
Man, I miss beer now.
Let's talk about something else.

derspiess

Well, we could talk about nurses.

Beenherebefore

I like nurses.
Then again, I also like pickled cucumber. And homemade bread with generous amounts of olive oil. I realised that baking bread was easy some time back, so now I bake my own. I doubt I save any money, and without all the additives it turns into something resembling wood with a hint of stone after three-four days, but it's good when it's fresh. So I can totally understand those who brew their own beer as well. Maybe people are tired of mass-manufactured stuff.

Tamas

Some Russian artillery units near the Ukraine started training. So either sabre-rattling, or genuine invasion-preparations continue.