RCMP Corporal thinks he should be allowed to smoke pot while in uniform

Started by Barrister, November 28, 2013, 01:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Am i right?  Am i right?  If I'm right, just sniff twice into the phone.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2013, 03:23:48 PM
That doesn't answer Iorm's question though as to why the guy just doesn't take THC pills or injections.

How many injections would he have to take in a day?  What are the potential adverse reactions from injecting oneself so many times?

Is there such a thing as "THC pills"?  I dont think so.  If there were that would solve a lot of problems around the issue of the government only allowing pot in dried form atm.

Lastly, if you are in agreement that "THC pills" are ok.  Why not THC brownies?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 28, 2013, 03:27:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2013, 03:23:48 PM
That doesn't answer Iorm's question though as to why the guy just doesn't take THC pills or injections.

How many injections would he have to take in a day?  What are the potential adverse reactions from injecting oneself so many times?

Is there such a thing as "THC pills"?  I dont think so.  If there were that would solve a lot of problems around the issue of the government only allowing pot in dried form atm.

Lastly, if you are in agreement that "THC pills" are ok.  Why not THC brownies?

I was trying to find the SCC case that ordered the government to make medical marijuana available, but haven't found it yet.

If I recall correctly, THC pills have long been available, but the medical marijuana activists always claimed it didn't work the same way.

And I guess that the Feds don't want anything but dried marijuana because they don't want anything being sold that could be planted / regrown.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2013, 03:24:35 PM
Am i right?  Am i right?  If I'm right, just sniff twice into the phone.

My guess is this guy would love to just sit and home and be on disability, but the force would like to see the guy just quit.  So instead its War of the Roses time forcing him to work desk duties.

viper37

All he has to do is join some religion where pot smoking is promoted, then he can lobby the RCMP for religious accomodation, wich as a tolerant society we can not refuse.  If we're going to accept police officers with veils, than why not pot smoker cops?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 28, 2013, 03:42:16 PM
All he has to do is join some religion where pot smoking is promoted, then he can lobby the RCMP for religious accomodation, wich as a tolerant society we can not refuse.  If we're going to accept police officers with veils, than why not pot smoker cops?

We don't accept police officers with veils. :mellow:

sbr

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  Hell no!

Malthus

Quote from: Iormlund on November 28, 2013, 02:43:02 PM
Even if the prescription is legit, why smoke it? Surely he could get his THC dose in another, less conspicuous and much healthier way (say oral or transdermal).

Allegedly, it has a different mechanism of action when smoked. I have no idea if this is actually true or not.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2013, 03:31:23 PM
And I guess that the Feds don't want anything but dried marijuana because they don't want anything being sold that could be planted / regrown.

I think your assumption is correct.  But given the ubiquity of the stuff, its a pretty weak argument.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2013, 02:48:09 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2013, 02:28:43 PM
Either his prescription is bullshit or it isn't.

If it is bullshit, then that should be the focus - his doc is a fraudster, and no doubt, he's in collusion.

I don't know an objective way to measure stress.

My point is that there is no halfway house. Either this is a legitimate prescription in response to a legitimate medical condition, or it is not. If it is, then assuming he's actually fit for duty when taking this stuff, I don't see why he can't.

If it isn't, of course, that's another story; ditto the legitimacy of him going on medical leave if he can't do his duties when taking his medicine.

In short, it should be treated exactly the same as any other medicine and health/disability claim. It is often difficult to tell who is scamming (look at all those 'bad backs' who are mysteriously well enough to go waterskiing, but not well enough to move boxes at work).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I understand that part of the argument Malthus.  My point is there is no way for a third party to determine the legitimacy of the treatment.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2013, 04:12:39 PM
I understand that part of the argument Malthus.  My point is there is no way for a third party to determine the legitimacy of the treatment.

Not being a doc, I have no idea whether this is true or not. If you are right, insurers are in for a rough ride, once people start "un-disproveably" claiming disability on this basis, and settling down to a life of smoking dope on their dime. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2013, 04:12:39 PM

I am not sure why the efficacious effects of this drug cannot be tested the same way all other drugs are tested.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2013, 03:47:00 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/25/edmonton-police-hijab_n_4338342.html
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 28, 2013, 06:02:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2013, 03:47:00 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/25/edmonton-police-hijab_n_4338342.html

This woman's face isn't veiled. :mellow: