News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Deal with Iran?

Started by Sheilbh, November 23, 2013, 09:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2013, 02:14:43 AM
And just to be crystal clear - 11B says shit will blow up in the next 12 months in Iran, and Yi says it won't?

Before says the Israel Air Force will blow shit up in Iran in the next 12 months.

Sheilbh

Surprising that Kerry's accomplished more in his first year than Clinton did in her entire time as Secretary of State. Even if everything falls through on Iran, Syria and the Israel-PA talks.

It's also surprising that Baroness Ashton turned into quite a good appointment given the reaction at the time and since :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Ide, I've been thinking about our bet and I'm now even more certain that it was for 4 elections, not 3.

You proposed the bet during the Magic Negro-Magic Underpants campaign.  Anyone could see Underpants was going to get skunked.  Most people could also that the Republican party was in the throes of a long, painful bout of electoral suicide.  So betting that the president after Obama is a another Democrat was pretty low risk.  Betting that this future Democratic president wins a second term was also relatively low risk.  If the bet had been for 3 elections including Negro/Underpants, I wouldn't have taken the bet.  It was the inclusion of the 4th election that raised the possibility in my mind to something approaching even money.

As for your "through 2024" recollection, I am quite certain that the bet was formulated in terms of the number of elections and never in terms of an end date.

Razgovory

I get the feeling that people here are unhappy with this new deal.  Could someone explain why?  I thought this was the point of the sanctions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2013, 11:37:18 AM
Surprising that Kerry's accomplished more in his first year than Clinton did in her entire time as Secretary of State. Even if everything falls through on Iran, Syria and the Israel-PA talks.

How can you possibly assign credit for Syria to Kerry?

OttoVonBismarck

I'm pretty outspoken in my belief Obama fumbled/fumbles much of his foreign policy for about five years now, but even I don't see how Kerry doesn't deserve significant credit for the Syria deal. What is your take on the situation that leads you to a different conclusion?

Tonitrus

I thought he had gaffed into giving Syria a "get out of airstrikes free" card...and making the Russians look like foreign policy stars at the same time.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 24, 2013, 07:35:34 PM
I thought he had gaffed into giving Syria a "get out of airstrikes free" card...and making the Russians look like foreign policy stars at the same time.
How was it free and what did the Russians really accomplish?

I think that was the DC version of the story. But I think, as it often is, it was wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2013, 09:04:14 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 24, 2013, 07:35:34 PM
How was it free and what did the Russians really accomplish?

World Prestige: +5
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2013, 10:20:48 PM
Elsewhere in his speech, although not referenced on his Twitter feed, Khamenei advised the U.S. government, "Instead of threatening other countries, go and deal with your wretched economic conditions and think of your debts."

Worrying about the prosperity of your people instead of waging a suicidal foreign policy? :hmm:

Might not be a bad idea Iran.  Why don't you demonstrate this virtue first?  Maybe everybody will follow suit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

I misread the title as "Duel With Iran" and thought "sounds OSSUM".
and the horse you rode in on

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Quote from: fhdz on November 24, 2013, 10:05:31 PM
I misread the title as "Duel With Iran" and thought "sounds OSSUM".

You did not.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)