News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What was your favorite toy?

Started by Savonarola, November 22, 2013, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Tim's advertisement for Goldieblocks in the Youtube thread made me thing of an exhibit at the Detroit Science Center.  They had scientist and engineers list their favorite toy; invariably it was an erector set or a crystal radio or something which demonstrated that science toys develop scientists and engineers.  So what was your favorite toy as a child and do you think it had an impact on your career?

My favorite was Legos.  That might have had some impact on my interest in science as I liked the space sets the best.   :)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

The Navarone mountain play set.

The grey one however.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PRC

PDH

Mine:

The Navarone mountain play set.

The grey one however.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

mongers

Airfix model kits and stacks of their HO/OO soldiers.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on November 22, 2013, 07:16:34 PM
Tim's advertisement for Goldieblocks in the Youtube thread made me thing of an exhibit at the Detroit Science Center.  They had scientist and engineers list their favorite toy; invariably it was an erector set or a crystal radio or something which demonstrated that science toys develop scientists and engineers.  So what was your favorite toy as a child and do you think it had an impact on your career?

My favorite was Legos.  That might have had some impact on my interest in science as I liked the space sets the best.   :)

My favorite were Legos, a castle given by my godfather and a Goldorak replica wich threw its fist.  God, I had so much fun with that throwing it at my older cousin :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

I had a Fisher Price record player. i remember playing with that a lot.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

I had a cannister of Lincoln Logs with about 3/4 of the pieces missing that I managed to extract some fun from.

We also had a construction type of toy, sorta like an Erector Set, except it had wooden dowels with holes in them and these plastic spokes you stuck into them.  Anyone know what i'm talking about?

Also got some good mileage out of the Etch 'n' Sketch.  Invented by a Frenchman!

But probably the single "toy" I got the most pleasure from was Risk.

Jacob

#1 - Playmobil
#2 - Lego
#3 - Airfix 1/72 scale plastic soldiers

fhdz

1) Etch-a-Sketch
2) Legos
3) Tinkertoys
EDIT: 4) Those green plastic soldiers you could order from the back of comic books.
and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

Building construction sets, as well as a chess kit.  I used parts from two construction sets to make a gun that fired bricks at the chess pieces, hard enough to knock them over at a range of up to 2 meters.  My most advanced design had a gravity-fed magazine that held 7 bricks, counting the chambered one.