News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Blame Ide for America's problems

Started by Sheilbh, November 21, 2013, 05:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

But you get to meet so many interesting people.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2013, 09:57:26 PM

Indeed; the $16.50/hour is nice, but the endless jail phone calls are much nicer.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Capetano's a rara avis.  He had no interest in law school but had no choice but to go once Harvard accepted him.  Then he asked himself the question what the fuck am I going to do with this degree.

Unless of course this is all stuff he said in Teh Back Room, in which case I'm just guessing.  :ph34r:

Ed Anger

Quote from: fhdz on November 21, 2013, 09:50:52 PM
Quote from: PDH on November 21, 2013, 09:27:12 PM
Somebody's been sampling the malbec again tonight.

No, just the Ren & Stimpy.

Fire Dogs was the peak of Ren& Stimpy sadly
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral YiCapetano's a rara avis.  He had no interest in law school but had no choice but to go once Harvard accepted him.  Then he asked himself the question what the fuck am I going to do with this degree.

Unless of course this is all stuff he said in Teh Back Room, in which case I'm just guessing.  :ph34r:

That's only half-true.  I did want to be a PD from the outset; you have to line up your first summer internship at the end of your first semester of law school, and I only applied to PD offices.  Then took all the criminal law courses my 2nd year and did another PD internship.  Then did the criminal defense workshop/clinic and represented people in Roxbury my 3rd year (while spending the whole year applying unsuccessfully for PD jobs).

No interest in being a lawyer generally?  That's fair.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Scipio

Just ossum.

Who thinks lawyers matter? Not most lawyers.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 21, 2013, 09:59:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2013, 09:57:26 PM

Indeed; the $16.50/hour is nice, but the endless jail phone calls are much nicer.

You know what I clearly need to do?  Take and pass the bar so I can expand my earning potential.  Jesus Herbert Christ.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2013, 05:24:43 PM
Posted mainly for the image. We're at the dangerous 'unemployed lawyer' phase

Can we have a link to the article?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2013, 08:45:24 PM
I think you're being a bit disingenuous Log.  People generally don't go to law school with the aspiration of making median salary.

I think you may have, however unintentionally, made my point with greater vigor and brevity than I ever could.  USA!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on November 22, 2013, 01:50:36 AM
I think you may have, however unintentionally, made my point with greater vigor and brevity than I ever could.  USA!
I hate to tell you this, Ide, but that's no great accomplishment for the rest of us.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 21, 2013, 10:03:43 PM
Quote from: fhdz on November 21, 2013, 09:50:52 PM
Quote from: PDH on November 21, 2013, 09:27:12 PM
Somebody's been sampling the malbec again tonight.

No, just the Ren & Stimpy.

Fire Dogs was the peak of Ren& Stimpy sadly

Me and my friends have watched Fire Dogs a lot. A lot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I don't follow.  You claimed you went to law school because you wanted to be "just middle class."  I think you went to law school with the intention of being much more than "just middle class."

Malthus

So, are we gonna hunt Ide down, or what?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 22, 2013, 01:57:55 PM

I don't follow.  You claimed you went to law school because you wanted to be "just middle class."  I think you went to law school with the intention of being much more than "just middle class."

Your notion that median income means a middle class lifestyle such as enjoyed by our parents is hilariously out of date.  In SC, a household of two people making $42k a year (God forbid with kids) are not middle class.

I make well over the median wage, and I ain't middle class such as is, or was, routinely understood.  However, if you insist that things such as owning a modest home or a car less than ten years old are badges of an upper-class income, I'll concede the point as I don't wish to engage in a purely semantic argument. :P
Kinemalogue