News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Senate passes Nuke option

Started by 11B4V, November 21, 2013, 12:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on November 21, 2013, 06:55:46 PMHave the Dems really thought this through? Yeah, they can now pass more stuff without bipartisan support but they'll rue the day when there's a Repub President and Congress and bills and appointments they don't like are slammed through.
They've got rid of the filibuster for nominations, except to the Supreme Court. It's not that drastic.

QuoteThere will be no minority voice, or it will be much diminished. Like a banana republic or something.
Or like more or less every other democracy in the world.

The American system is very odd comparatively and very often ends up with actual banana republics.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

So does this mean it goes back to the original 2/3rds requirement? Or are they changing it to a simple majority of 51?

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2013, 06:59:05 PM
They've got rid of the filibuster for nominations, except to the Supreme Court. It's not that drastic.
The precedent is what's drastic.  The door is now opened to further changes to the filibuster rules.  Some part of me suspects that Republicans abused the filibuster precisely to provoke Reid going nuclear, as part of the long game.  Of the two parties, Republicans are the ones that want to radically transform our society (despite the inane ravings of the Tea Partiers), so in the long run they're the ones benefiting from the erosion of filibuster.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on November 21, 2013, 08:03:51 PM
The precedent is what's drastic.  The door is now opened to further changes to the filibuster rules.  Some part of me suspects that Republicans abused the filibuster precisely to provoke Reid going nuclear, as part of the long game.  Of the two parties, Republicans are the ones that want to radically transform our society (despite the inane ravings of the Tea Partiers), so in the long run they're the ones benefiting from the erosion of filibuster.

Also, since the shitty states where no one lives tend to be Republican, they should have a natural majority.

But I doubt they are so smart.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on November 21, 2013, 06:23:22 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2013, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 21, 2013, 01:10:01 PM
Good.  If you get elected, you deserve to be able to govern, whether you're a Democrat or Republican.

Yeah, you say that now.
If Republicans get the House, the Senate, and the presidency in 2016, they deserve to be able to implement their agenda.  The voters would get what they deserve as well.

I was just yanking your chain.  I haven't heard anything from you to suggest hypocrisy.

These other folks, on the other hand...
http://youtu.be/EkXjYohzAOY
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Hypocrisy from politicians when it comes to filibuster is so old that it's beyond yawn-worthy.  And for every video of the Democrat/Republican decrying/glorifying the power of horrible/freedom-protecting filibuster, you can find the video of the Republican/Democrat decrying/glorifying the power of horrible/freedom-protecting filibuster.  Most of the time the saying "both sides are to blame" are the refuge of the intellectually lazy, but this is one of those rare cases where it is exactly the truth.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

It does seem that there was a huge surge in the use of filibusters, so it's not that surprising that the trigger got pulled in the end.

It's going to be fun some time in the future if this trend continues, with the Senate and Presidency are held by different parties. How will the executive function without being able to make any appointments?

Admiral Yi

Acting appointments and recess appointments.

jimmy olsen

If so I question its effectiveness as a long term strategy. With a simple majority the Dems can pass new social programs and the GOP can cut them, but doing the later is likely to cause considerably more political damage than former. It's why the GOP was so passionate about repealing Obamacare before it went into effect. Once a program starts benifiting people it becomes extremely difficult to remove, even if removing it is the best thing for the country. The Obama administration's incompetence in implementing it has swooped into save them at the last moment.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 22, 2013, 01:10:47 AM
If so I question its effectiveness as a long term strategy. With a simple majority the Dems can pass new social programs and the GOP can cut them, but doing the later is likely to cause considerably more political damage than former. It's why the GOP was so passionate about repealing Obamacare before it went into effect. Once a program starts benifiting people it becomes extremely difficult to remove, even if removing it is the best thing for the country. The Obama administration's incompetence in implementing it has swooped into save them at the last moment.
I don't disagree, but sometimes they best way to kill bad ideas is to give someone the power to implement them.  Either those ideas get discredited by the ensuing carnage, or their proponents sober up by the power they now have.  Either way you don't have this perpetual slow festering of the insanity that seeps into every facet of political life.

Ideologue

I'm actually against this, as the filibuster was an important weapon in the arsenal of those who are unwittingly doing my work and discrediting democracy, which is a good thing.  Sure, it's temporarily incredibly annoying, but when President Clinton dissolves Congress and rides over Paul Ryan with a tank, it will be all the more satisfying.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Scipio

Quote from: Ideologue on November 22, 2013, 01:49:10 AM
I'm actually against this, as the filibuster was an important weapon in the arsenal of those who are unwittingly doing my work and discrediting democracy, which is a good thing.  Sure, it's temporarily incredibly annoying, but when President Clinton dissolves Congress and rides over Paul Ryan with a tank, it will be all the more satisfying.
It's a good thing that we have a republic, and not a democracy.

No wonder they found you unfit to practice law, since you can't keep that simple distinction in your brain.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017