News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Senate passes Nuke option

Started by 11B4V, November 21, 2013, 12:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Kleves

Take that, China!  :menace:

Edit: Disappointed.  :(
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

Good.  If you get elected, you deserve to be able to govern, whether you're a Democrat or Republican.

MadImmortalMan

Figured it would be inevitable. Kinda diminishes all the fury we had before over the threat of implementing it. We've gone from nuclear option is Hitler to meh.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on November 21, 2013, 01:10:01 PM
Good.  If you get elected, you deserve to be able to govern, whether you're a Democrat or Republican.

Yeah, you say that now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Good.

Am I right that it's for nominations except for those to the Supreme Court? That seems a decent position.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Dont' think there's ever been a hold put on a SC nominee.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2013, 01:48:26 PM
Dont' think there's ever been a hold put on a SC nominee.
But because of their importance you should be able to filibuster SC nominees. I'm less convinced for judges lower down the line and think President's should have huge discretion in shaping their own administration.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Still no missile trails or bomber contrails here.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

I don't like this as it takes too much away from a minority party, which could be the Dem party next time. I know it's frustrating at times and it works for/against both parties, but it's also like a check/balance as well.

jimmy olsen

The filibuster was clearly being abused so this is a good thing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2013, 01:42:05 PM

Yeah, you say that now.
If Republicans get the House, the Senate, and the presidency in 2016, they deserve to be able to implement their agenda.  The voters would get what they deserve as well.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2013, 01:42:05 PM

Yeah, you say that now.

So you are of the opinion that the elected party shouldn't be allowed to govern?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Some years ago when Obama and Biden were Senators  the Republicans were threatening to pass this same thing. These two as Senators, and other Dems, ranted and raved against the error of passing such a rule. They were very adamant of the negatives of it.

Have the Dems really thought this through? Yeah, they can now pass more stuff without bipartisan support but they'll rue the day when there's a Repub President and Congress and bills and appointments they don't like are slammed through. There will be no minority voice, or it will be much diminished. Like a banana republic or something.