Plain white T-shirt for $7 or $70? How wealth gap is changing retail

Started by jimmy olsen, November 19, 2013, 11:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

:hmm:

I looked up Barney's white tee and got this.

http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=062245435

On sale for $19, regularly $35.

And then below there are a few $45-$50 ones with different neck cuts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Hanes t-shirts are the best bang for the buck.  I'd put them above Jockey these days. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/style-kanye-west-apc-120-plain-white-hiphop-t-shirt-sells-out.html#.UozLG-IUZ8E

QuoteNot Okay: Kanye West's $120 Plain White "Hiphop" T-Shirt Sells Out Instantly

Just to prove once again what we already knew (ie that he can just make any old thing and his fans will eat it up) Kanye West AKA Our Lord Yeezus Christ dropped a $120 white "hip-hop" tee in collaboration with high-end brand A.P.C.. If you can't already anticipate what happened next, the internets went all abuzz and it promptly sold out.

My question would be, who the hell pays US$120.00 for a plain white t-shirt? Granted it does have Our Lord's name printed on it (well in it, anyway–as the description says, the words A.P.C. KANYE are silkscreened inside the neckline) and how often do you get to buy a fabricated signature from a God. That almost makes it worth the price BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE. This chumpy also features 1) Short Sleeves 2) Ribbing at the Neckline and 3) is constructed of 100% Egyptian cotton, so when you add all that up, this seems less like shameless self-aggrandizement for Kanye and more like promo for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' track "Thrift Shop" (I call THAT getting swindled and pimped (shit) / I call THAT getting tricked by a business...)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I buy cheap t-shirts etc at H&M and the like. But stuff like shoes, jackets, jeans... I go brand, baby. They define me as a person.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.