News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Film Soundtracks?

Started by Queequeg, November 19, 2013, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

In the past five years, the best that come to mind are Tron: Legacy (Daft Punk, Joseph Trapanese), Moon (Clint Mansell, who was mentioned upthread via The Fountain), and this year's best, Maniac (Rob).

Going further back, John Carpenter and Alan Howarth's collaborations can be counted amongst my favorite scores--Christine and Prince of Darkness being the real standouts.

There's The Little Mermaid, of course, by the guys that wrote those songs (I forget).

And let us not forget Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (James Horner), in particular "Stealing the Enterprise."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Drakken

Among my favourite list, out of my head right now :

Aguirre - The Wrath of God, especially Lacrime Di Rei, by Popoh Vul.

Bram Stocker's Dracula, by Wojciech Kilar

Scarface, by Giorgio Moroder.

Das Boot, by Klaus Doldinger

Finally I also have a soft spot for what I dubbed "Love Theme from Salò", conducted by Ennio Morricone.  :P

Habbaku

Ditto on Last of the Mohicans and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Hitchcock's movies all tend to have good soundtracks.  The first time I watched North by Northwest, I was pretty struck by the sound track, and the timing of it.

garbon

I recall really liking the juxtaposition in A Knight's Tale, which is probably why I also liked it in Marie Antoinette.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Drakken on November 20, 2013, 12:09:09 AM
Das Boot, by Klaus Doldinger

Seriously?  :huh:

I remember thinking while watching Das Boot that it was a great movie, marred only by the incredibly cheesy and cheap sounding synthesizer sound track.

katmai

Lawrence of Arabia
Grease
Boogie nights
24 hour party people.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Sophie Scholl

Oh wow.  Tough question.  I have probably... 70 or so scores on my computer and cds.  I do have an incredible fondness for The Complete Recordings that were released for the Lord of the Rings movies.  Field of Dreams, Glory, Gladiator, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Lawrence of Arabia, Pan's Labyrinth,  Planet of the Apes, The Illusionist, Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Natural... the list is nearly endless.  Some scores are amazing in their entirety, some are made on just one or two pieces, there is so much greatness in them. :wub:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Scott Pilgrim.
Sure, sounds a bit lame to say something so recent but it really was pretty good and nicely integrated into the film.
Plus I can't think of anything else at the moment.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Well I know someone who's going to be on the short list of liquidation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan had a good one too.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch