News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cash Rewards for Good Grades?

Started by Admiral Yi, November 14, 2013, 04:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2013, 10:15:27 PM
Trying to totally dictate someone's future is a fool's errand.  But learning a foreign language early is easier (like going transgender :P ), so whether it wound up a hard-skill advantage or just a party trick, I wouldn't say it was totally wasted.

Also, there's the possibility that it could open up mating opportunities with well-off people from the culture whose language she learned.  I dunno how good that idea is (subject to many factors and individual assessment, but I suspect that there's a good chance I'd be mildly opposed to marrying outside of Western civilization), but it could help if that's the direction she believed was the most advantageous to her well-being and comfort.

Yeah but couldn't she equally likely be served by the analysis skills she picked up in history and English classes?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

No need for bribery yet on my end. Although the twins are rapidly tiring of homework.

AND WHO THE HELL GIVES KINDERGARDENERS HOMEWORK? Still annoys me. It wasn't until jr high that I got homework. Fucking educational system.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 14, 2013, 10:21:46 PM
It wasn't until jr high that I got homework. Fucking educational system.

Still don't get that shit at all.  I remember getting homework in 2nd grade.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2013, 10:19:07 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2013, 10:16:01 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2013, 10:11:44 PM
Actually, Ide, if being more realistic, how likely would it be that this daughter of yours would be having dealings in other countries? ;)

I've been trying to ignore these little barbs.  I'd awfully rather you knocked it off. <_<

Hey I was the one saying that she could probably be successful so she wouldn't need to aim low. <_<

I just wouldn't want my kid to believe she can be/do anything.  That kind of thinking clouds the judgment.  It works out for some, and we celebrate them.  It destroys others, and we revile them.  I would want her to be able to be satisfied and content, instead of living a life incongruent with her self-image, because that's what really fucks a person up.

QuoteYeah but couldn't she equally likely be served by the analysis skills she picked up in history and English classes?

I doubt it. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2013, 10:23:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 14, 2013, 10:21:46 PM
It wasn't until jr high that I got homework. Fucking educational system.

Still don't get that shit at all.  I remember getting homework in 2nd grade.

The fairborn ohio school system was run by retarded apes.

Hell, the entire city government was too. And still is.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2013, 10:25:38 PM
QuoteYeah but couldn't she equally likely be served by the analysis skills she picked up in history and English classes?

I doubt it. :lol:

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Maybe not that retarded. Homework for second graders is retarded. I remember not doing any until jr high also--not because it wasn't assigned though.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers