Soldier linked to sex assaults can blame identical twin, judge rules

Started by jimmy olsen, November 17, 2013, 07:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2013, 04:20:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2013, 04:15:08 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2013, 04:13:25 PM
Why would the brother need to cop to it for the defense to work?

Because as soon as the defence says that want the jury to consider whether or not the brother did it, the prosecution would call the brother in rebuttal.

Well couldn't he here just invoke his 5th amendment rights if put on the stand?

Well not in Canada he couldn't.* :menace:

But in the US, yes he could.  And then immediately brand himself to the entire world as a rapist.

*I actually called a "separately charged co-conspirator" as a witness last Friday.  It was fun. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

This reminds me of an episode of "The Commish", where he was foiled by twin brothers both confessing to murder, and saying the other one didn't do it.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2013, 10:24:16 AM
The "evil twin defence" can actually work quite well, assuming you do in fact have an identical twin.  I remember we had quite a bit of trouble with a pair of twin young offenders at one point.

In this case though I am going to assume that the twin is not interested in being labelled as a sex offender in court, and would co-operate with establishing his alibis for all of the offences in question.

What I don't understand is why there had to be a ruling by the judge that he could use this as a defense.

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2013, 11:06:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2013, 10:24:16 AM
The "evil twin defence" can actually work quite well, assuming you do in fact have an identical twin.  I remember we had quite a bit of trouble with a pair of twin young offenders at one point.

In this case though I am going to assume that the twin is not interested in being labelled as a sex offender in court, and would co-operate with establishing his alibis for all of the offences in question.

What I don't understand is why there had to be a ruling by the judge that he could use this as a defense.

Doesn't that sometimes happen when a defense seems wacky? Here's another example I could find.

http://hawaiinewsdaily.com/2013/08/judge-cannabis-ministers-religion-protected-under-rfra/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2013, 04:20:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2013, 04:15:08 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2013, 04:13:25 PM
Why would the brother need to cop to it for the defense to work?

Because as soon as the defence says that want the jury to consider whether or not the brother did it, the prosecution would call the brother in rebuttal.

Well couldn't he here just invoke his 5th amendment rights if put on the stand?

Lol.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Basically just what Beeb said.

But actually--while I would have to look it up--I would suspect fraudulently claiming the Fifth Amendment in order to subvert a jury may fall under into the ambit of perjury.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2013, 11:32:36 PM

Sure but whether or not that is something a person would want to do depends on the relationship between the brothers, no? Besides a cynical person could say think that he just did so to help protect and alleged rapist.

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2013, 11:32:36 PMBut actually--while I would have to look it up--I would suspect fraudulently claiming the Fifth Amendment in order to subvert a jury may fall under into the ambit of perjury.

Presumably they would have to prove that.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2013, 11:35:48 PM

Sure but whether or not that is something a person would want to do depends on the relationship between the brothers, no? Besides a cynical person could say think that he just did so to help protect and alleged rapist.

Which is better..?

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2013, 11:32:36 PMBut actually--while I would have to look it up--I would suspect fraudulently claiming the Fifth Amendment in order to subvert a jury may fall under into the ambit of perjury.

Presumably they would have to prove that.

Insofar as it is a crime, yes.

Actually, it's kind of an interesting scenario, and it marks literally the first time I've been interested in a legal question in well over a year.  I think we should ask Mihali, he'd know.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2013, 11:39:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2013, 11:35:48 PM

Which is better..?

Protecting a rapist out of misguided sense of family loyalty at least seems a little understandable as compared to be a child rapist.