News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Suggested Summer Reading?

Started by Queequeg, May 30, 2009, 05:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Looking for novels set in or good histories of the great Indian kingdoms and Chinese dynasties of the early modern/late medieval period (Song and Ming, for India mostly Hindu kingdoms if possible, with a focus on the North, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Sind and surrounding areas).

Suggestions?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Looks interesting, would love to see an illustrated version.

I got that copy of the Shahnameh you linked to, Sheilbh.  Haven't had time to go beyond the creation story, but it is interesting.  Though I wish they had the occasional Safavid or Ottoman illustration. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Darth Wagtaros

The Belisarius Saga from baen books is about the evil Malwa Empire of India joining forces with an eviler super computer from the distant future to create a master race.

Timmy Recommended:

PDH!

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 30, 2009, 09:55:22 PM
The Belisarius Saga from baen books is about the evil Malwa Empire of India joining forces with an eviler super computer from the distant future to create a master race.

Timmy Recommended:

Bad cover: check
Shitty writing: check
constant mentions of female anatomy: check
Deus Ex Machina: check

Yep. Baen books alright. Even worse, David Drake's (and before Marti says anything, not the homo) name was attached to it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

I didn't recommend that! I haven't read it yet.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Queequeg

Haven't found anything obvious on Amazon.  Am pissed off: its the fucking Song and Ming dynasties, should be dozens of English Language books on both!

Faeelin

Clements, Jonathan. Coxinga and the Fall of the Ming Dynasty.

Twas a fun book on the guy who was either a national hero or a glorified pirate.

Norgy

Have you read John Keats' books on India and China?
I have only just started to read his India: A History, and seems quite good. He's also written one called The Honourable Company, which is about the East India Company, unsurprisingly. It's also in my bookshelf To-Do pipeline.
Also, Ming and Song: Better Than Armenians?  :uffda: