News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help!

Started by Admiral Yi, November 11, 2013, 05:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I keep getting intermittent black screen with a white box that says "Searching."  Another message comes on less frequently that says something like "Can not find USDB something."

I already tried rebooting.

Cable loose or something like that?

Admiral Yi

It seems to have stopped.  :)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2013, 05:23:58 AM
I keep getting intermittent black screen with a white box that says "Searching."  Another message comes on less frequently that says something like "Can not find USDB something."

I already tried rebooting.

Cable loose or something like that?

Sounds like it's trying to boot from USB, which can occasionally throw a monkey wrench in the boot process.

Just go into the BIOS and disable "Boot from USB" (unless you need it because you're running a live USB of Linux or something).  Also, if you've got a card reader that you don't use often, I'd disable/unplug that from the motherboard- I've seen several hijack the boot sequence, even after being moved way down in priority.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 11, 2013, 09:13:42 AM
Sounds like it's trying to boot from USB, which can occasionally throw a monkey wrench in the boot process.

What would have caused that to happen?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2013, 09:44:12 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 11, 2013, 09:13:42 AM

What would have caused that to happen?

I'm honestly not sure.  It's definitely not the designed behavior, but it seems like several BIOS developers have coded boot-from-USB and boot-from-card options that are extremely flaky- I have witnessed this in person on several machines.  In fact, card readers are so bad about it that at our shop, SOP is to disable and unplug card readers as a first step in diagnosing a boot issue.
Experience bij!