And we're back!

Main Menu

ECB and Inflation

Started by The Minsky Moment, November 06, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2013, 07:44:27 AM
How do you factor taxes into inflation Iormlund?

There's been a >30% increase in VAT rates in the last few years, plus excise taxes (especially gas which has an economy-wide feedback).

Healthcare costs have also gone up due to reduced medication coverage and so on.

Iormlund

Quote from: Ideologue on November 07, 2013, 07:48:32 AM
I assumed he meant when you got rid of VAT, the scourge of Europe, prices would actually have dropped.

I would increase VAT further actually. Same with property tax (this one I'd make much higher). Trade that for a reduction in payroll tax.

I would also assume that the statistics would account for that, but he does live there.

Standard Spanish CPI doesn't.

Neil

Raise property tax?  That's just bizarre.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Property tax? We need more land, not less.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Neil on November 07, 2013, 08:31:42 AM

It's harder to move your luxury villa from Marbella to a tax haven than set up a tax dodging scheme for your income there.

Ideologue

It's easier to burn down a luxury villa than it is to increase property taxes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Wow.  Draghi stepped up after all.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Not unanimous though. I imagine there'll be a clarifying speech from the Bundesbank soon :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on November 07, 2013, 12:02:37 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 07, 2013, 08:31:42 AM
It's harder to move your luxury villa from Marbella to a tax haven than set up a tax dodging scheme for your income there.
Still, don't you think that a confiscatory property tax scheme will have some negative effects on middle class homeowners?  I mean, I realize that it's pretty popular in Europe to hate that sort of person, but do they really deserve to take the hit that you're aiming at the rich?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

Quote from: Neil on November 07, 2013, 01:42:02 PM
Still, don't you think that a confiscatory property tax scheme will have some negative effects on middle class homeowners?  I mean, I realize that it's pretty popular in Europe to hate that sort of person, but do they really deserve to take the hit that you're aiming at the rich?

It is precisely the middle class that now pays disproportionately, because their salaries are so easy to tap into. There's almost 40% payroll tax on top of income tax.

I just propose shifting some of that burden to the one thing the rich and megacorporations like Apple can't hide behind tax code loopholes.

Tonitrus

Property taxes on typical homeowners is evil.  If the land itself is not producing income, it is just a scheme to eventually try to force those owners off that land.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 10, 2013, 08:34:36 PM
Property taxes on typical homeowners is evil.  If the land itself is not producing income, it is just a scheme to eventually try to force those owners off that land.

Also motor vehicles.  I once had to beg some money off my parents to pay my property taxes on a car.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

That must be a South Carolina thing.

Ed Anger

Get rid of capital gains taxes!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive