DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2017, 12:16:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2017, 12:15:13 PM
That's a pretty shitty travel company.
If you think that's bad, the Ontario brother's descendant now lives in Saskatchewan. :cry:

Obviously a trace of insanity lurks in your genetic heritage.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Clearly I am descended from the smartest brother.  He moved to what would eventually become a tax haven. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2017, 12:16:09 PM
If you think that's bad, the Ontario brother's descendant now lives in Saskatchewan. :cry:

And his luggage ended up in Murmansk!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

This movie looks terrible, movie wise and history wise. This is not how wolves were domesticated.  :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMjSsPMfoqM

Also, these hunters are dumb. If you want to stampede a herd off a cliff, set the grass on fire.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2017, 06:30:14 PM
This is not how wolves were domesticated.

You know that because grumbler gave you a first-hand account, right?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on August 24, 2017, 10:16:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2017, 06:30:14 PM
This is not how wolves were domesticated.

You know that because grumbler gave you a first-hand account, right?

First of all, hunter gatherers were not bleeding hearts, especially in an ice age when they were all living one bad season from the brink of disaster. One is not going to spare a wolf that tried to kill him.

Second of all, a wolf that old is not tameable.

The traditional idea is that someone (probably a woman) came across a dead mother and adpoted the cute pups.

But it was way more complicated than that.

Wolves today are aggressive and shy, and it's understandable why. Humans are dicks out to murder the competition and have wiped them out from large swaths of their range. But, obviously, back in the paleolithic there was a vastly larger and more diverse wolf population.

It is believed that a pack of particularly bold wolves started trailing a human band, scavenging from their hunts and garbage dumps. To do this they had to get closer to people than most animals would. Humans obviously noticed this and tried to kill them, focusing on the dangerous looking ones.

We know from Russian experiments on domesticating the gray fox, that in canids, agression correlates with a massive number of behavior and physical traits. The more agressive a canid is the farther away it wants to be from people unless it is trying to eat them. The less agressive it is the more likely it will tolerate human presence.

So these wolves were under pressure for less agression on two fronts. They needed to get close to humans to eat. And they had to look nonthreatening so humans wouldn't attack them.

It just takes a handful of generations of strong selection against agression for them to get spotted coats, curly tails, and a puppish look into adulthood. It's at this point if you bring up pups in the company of people that they become attached to them for life.

Basically this pack of wolves self domesticated themselves. And once the people in that group took the dogs in and started using them to hunt, their population exploded and they had a huge expansion that spread their dogs around the world with them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Tim, it was a joke about grumbler's allegedly ancient age, not an invitation for you to go all pedagogue on us.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on August 24, 2017, 11:24:11 PM
Tim, it was a joke about grumbler's allegedly ancient age, not an invitation for you to go all pedagogue on us.
This is the DNA sequencing megathread. What better place to nerd out?  :D

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Alone in your room with any internet capable devices turned off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Tim, you should punish these guys with a half dozen articles about space flight and renewable energy use.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Wind turbines in space. :w00t:

Someone mentioning solar wind in 3, 2, 1... :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Good recent scholarly article on the subject of ancient dog dna can be found here.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms16082
QuoteAbsract

Europe has played a major role in dog evolution, harbouring the oldest uncontested Palaeolithic remains and having been the centre of modern dog breed creation. Here we sequence the genomes of an Early and End Neolithic dog from Germany, including a sample associated with an early European farming community. Both dogs demonstrate continuity with each other and predominantly share ancestry with modern European dogs, contradicting a previously suggested Late Neolithic population replacement. We find no genetic evidence to support the recent hypothesis proposing dual origins of dog domestication. By calibrating the mutation rate using our oldest dog, we narrow the timing of dog domestication to 20,000–40,000 years ago.

Interestingly, we do not observe the extreme copy number expansion of the AMY2B gene characteristic of modern dogs that has previously been proposed as an adaptation to a starch-rich diet driven by the widespread adoption of agriculture in the Neolithic.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

A migration is confirmed. It may not have taken the form of blond beasts on horseback sacking Harappa to the tune of Wagner.  :P
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?