DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on April 05, 2017, 07:47:44 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 05, 2017, 07:42:27 PM
Katmai:

40% whale
40% Manatee
20% hot air
:cry:
So mean to me, I'm quitting Languish for twice as long as Ed Anger!

You keep making these failing promises you will never keep.  Sad!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Still waiting on my Ancestry DNA results :rolleyes: but I was playing around on ancestry.com and traced one of our lines back to a dude that was knighted by Elizabeth I. Switching to a different site, it looks like I can trace back to ca. 1180.  Apparently that family line (Booth/de Bothe) was originally from Normandy and came over during or after the invasion.  At least a couple direct ancestors were baronets of Dunham Massey.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2017, 03:34:58 PM
Still waiting on my Ancestry DNA results :rolleyes: but I was playing around on ancestry.com and traced one of our lines back to a dude that was knighted by Elizabeth I. Switching to a different site, it looks like I can trace back to ca. 1180.  Apparently that family line (Booth/de Bothe) was originally from Normandy and came over during or after the invasion.  At least a couple direct ancestors were baronets of Dunham Massey.

Hey! I claim Normandy for the Hawkins line. Pretenders will be flogged.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 25, 2017, 07:35:10 PM
Hey! I claim Normandy for the Hawkins line. Pretenders will be flogged.

I'll relinquish all claims in exchange for Calvados.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

I'm descended from a long line of impoverished farmers and itinerant peddlers.  I traced one line back to guy who once stepped in the droppings of Stephen Bathory's horse.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

I found a lot of Germans from Pfalz and Alsace, some going back into the 1400s.  And I found the Hessian deserter on my mom's side; even found an interview with his son that confirms the family legend (though he claims his dad was captured).  There is another guy from Hesse born mid-1700s that may be in a similar boat.

Every time I got back into the 1700s and saw someone from "Ireland" I got a little spooked, but in each case it turned out to be someone from Northern Ireland originally from Scotland, or at least having a Scottish name.

Speaking of Scots, going back in my Cameron line it looks like I am David Cameron's 5th cousin. 

Aaaaand I found an ancestor from the Channel Islands and a whole lot of French names before him.  So I guess I'm a tiny bit French.  Damn it.

One of the more interesting characters was a hardcore Puritan dude named Hatevil Nutter that came over from England and settled in New Hampshire in the 1600s.  He was a church elder and was most widely known for his hatred of Quakers :lol:

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2017, 10:48:00 AM

One of the more interesting characters was a hardcore Puritan dude named Hatevil Nutter that came over from England and settled in New Hampshire in the 1600s.  He was a church elder and was most widely known for his hatred of Quakers :lol:

Nice of you to keep the tradition alive :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Because of my aunt, we have whole teams of graduate students researching our family history on my father's side. We are descended from a long line of Atwoods and Websters.

The family name goes back to the settlement in New England. There is even a museum there located in an old family house with our name: http://www.chathamhistoricalsociety.org/

Our most interesting ancestor was "half-hanged Mary" - a woman accused of witchcraft and hanged ... who survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Webster_(alleged_witch)

An account of her witchery: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/evans/N00392.0001.001/1:6?rgn=div1;view=fulltext;q1=Witchcraft
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grinning_Colossus

Every time I got back into the 1700s and saw someone from "Ireland" I got a little spooked,

:lol:

In any case, I'm glad that your German ancestor was a coward, so that his descendants couldn't turn into Nazis
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

I am Abraham Lincoln's second cousin, or cousin Abe as I like to call him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 26, 2017, 12:10:22 PM
Every time I got back into the 1700s and saw someone from "Ireland" I got a little spooked,

:lol:

In any case, I'm glad that your German ancestor was a coward, so that his descendants couldn't turn into Nazis

:shifty: