Air France airliner with 228 aboard disappears over the Atlantic

Started by Caliga, June 01, 2009, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

It means you flee in terror for up to 8 seconds. Any damage incurred may break the effect.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on June 04, 2009, 12:04:21 PM
It means you flee in terror for up to 8 seconds. Any damage incurred may break the effect.
Four seconds if you make your saving throw.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

Someone told me there was a priest and a shaman on that flight. They were going to give people slow fall and water walking, but there was no reagent vendor on board!!! LOOOL!

Caliga

:lmfao:

They failed at having the proper minor glyphs equipped. :(

Jaron

There WAS an inscriptionist on board, but his herb guy was flying on Air Jamaica :pinch:

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2009, 11:04:59 AM
They terrorized India though, which was what I meant and you know it.

If 10 terrorists ran around a major American City and killed nearly 200 civilians then America would be terrorized.
:lmfao:

I think you have flipped your wig.  How would anyone know if there were ten terrorists, or that they were even terrorists, if they simply wanted to ikill people without revealing who they were or why they acted? 

In 2007, the US murder rate was about 50 murders a day and nobody blinked, let alone felt the slightest bit terrorized.  If that rate doubled for a 2-day period, people would still not blink, let alone be terrorized.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I think Tim is trying to say if terrorists did the exact same thing here as happened in Mumbai--if they took over a hotel and just slaughtered everyone inside.  While I agree that that would have a dramatic effect on the American people (assuming this is in fact what he means), the difficulty would be in a terror cell like that actually getting here.  In the Mumbai case the terrorists came from Pakistan and literally sailed across the Arabian Sea in a commandeered merchant ship IIRC (details are fuzzy in my mind, but it was something like that).  Obviously that would be much more difficult to do in the case of the US, due to simple geography.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on June 04, 2009, 04:32:49 PM
I think Tim is trying to say if terrorists did the exact same thing here as happened in Mumbai--if they took over a hotel and just slaughtered everyone inside.  While I agree that that would have a dramatic effect on the American people (assuming this is in fact what he means),
What else could I possibly mean?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

That could never happen here. We have too many guns and your average American is like a GI Joe. Your average Indian is like Little Black Sambo.

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on June 04, 2009, 05:15:03 PM
That could never happen here. We have too many guns and your average American is like a GI Joe. Your average Indian is like Little Black Sambo.
Tell that to the kids at Columbine.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

I think Tim is trying to say if terrorists did the exact same thing here as happened in Mumbai--if they took over a hotel and just slaughtered everyone inside.  While I agree that that would have a dramatic effect on the American people (assuming this is in fact what he means), the difficulty would be in a terror cell like that actually getting here.  In the Mumbai case the terrorists came from Pakistan and literally sailed across the Arabian Sea in a commandeered merchant ship IIRC (details are fuzzy in my mind, but it was something like that).  Obviously that would be much more difficult to do in the case of the US, due to simple geography.
The Mumbai attack was a terrorist attack.  It was not designed "just to kill people," which is the assertion Tim was disputing.

Let's say that Cho at Virginia Tech had decided to blow himself up in a crowded lecture hall rather than shooting 32 people, and had killed 200 people "just to kill people."

Would America be "terrorized?"  I think not.  It was not even 1/7 terrorized when he killed 1/7 that number.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2009, 05:58:19 PM
The Mumbai attack was a terrorist attack.  It was not designed "just to kill people," which is the assertion Tim was disputing.

No, that's not what I was saying,  I wasn't disputing anything. I was making an offhanded comment that a terrorist attack in which terrorists with AK-47 went on a murder spree similar to the Mumbai attacks would terrorize America.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2009, 06:03:26 PM
No, that's not what I was saying,  I wasn't disputing anything. I was making an offhanded comment that a terrorist attack in which terrorists with AK-47 went on a murder spree similar to the Mumbai attacks would terrorize America.
So you are saying that Neil is right, and I am right, and you are right but about something else completely?

Okay, but why even have the conversations then?  Why dispute what I am saying, and make it look like you are disputing what eil is saying, if you agree with both of us?

Terrorism is completely different than "just killing people."  Terrorism doesn't even require that you kill anyone.

And thus, Neil's point that downing airliners without announcing that you have done it and why is counter-productive for terrorists is correct.  Terrorism is political.  The violence is a means, not an end.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2009, 06:09:15 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2009, 06:03:26 PM
So you are saying that Neil is right, and I am right, and you are right but about something else completely?

Okay, but why even have the conversations then?  Why dispute what I am saying, and make it look like you are disputing what eil is saying, if you agree with both of us?

Terrorism is completely different than "just killing people."  Terrorism doesn't even require that you kill anyone.

And thus, Neil's point that downing airliners without announcing that you have done it and why is counter-productive for terrorists is correct.  Terrorism is political.  The violence is a means, not an end.
I wasn't disagreeing with anyone, I was just making a comment and you jumped all over me. I was just defending myself.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: Neil on June 04, 2009, 05:20:24 PM
Quote from: Jaron on June 04, 2009, 05:15:03 PM
Tell that to the kids at Columbine.

They aren't kids anymore. And I bet they are armed to the teeth nowadays.