State gas tax could be replaced by mileage tax

Started by 11B4V, October 28, 2013, 03:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

They could get rid of it and fold it into the income tax.

The highways are a tragedy of the commons, but it's not because of Yi's hated poor people.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I'm not a fan as all of those methods seem intrusive. Though I was thinking that given that many states have yearly mandatory inspections, maybe they could assess extra tax burden at that time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Mandatory inspections?  Sounds like fascism.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2013, 06:26:29 PM
I'm not a fan as all of those methods seem intrusive. Though I was thinking that given that many states have yearly mandatory inspections, maybe they could assess extra tax burden at that time.

Except for the factor mentioned, about driving out of state.  Simply taxing gasoline makes far more sense than all the crap needed to make this work.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on October 28, 2013, 05:07:55 PM
They could get rid of it and fold it into the income tax.
income tax can be easily evaded.  Mileage tax in your state of residence would be harder to avoid, you'd basically need to really live in the Virgin Islands to avoid it.  Many people like fiscal paradise for their money, but usually not for themselves.  Latest works I've read talked about mileage and property taxes instead of gas&income taxes to fight fiscal evasion.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

sbr

I'm sure our gas prices will go down $0.30 per gallon as they get rid of teh gas tax. :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 28, 2013, 06:40:17 PM
Mandatory inspections?  Sounds like fascism.

Sounds like a good way for the state to collect revenue under the guise of keeping unsafe cars off the road.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 28, 2013, 06:57:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2013, 06:26:29 PM

Except for the factor mentioned, about driving out of state.  Simply taxing gasoline makes far more sense than all the crap needed to make this work.

I assumed said mileage would still go to the state in which you reside. Though I can see how that defeats the point, so to speak. :D

DGuller

Seems like the benefits are so not worth the costs to make the switch.  Why not just set a revenue target for gas taxes, and adjust them appropriately to meet it?  I can't see gas usage as being that bad of a proxy for how much infrastructure you use up.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2013, 09:00:41 PM
Seems like the benefits are so not worth the costs to make the switch.  Why not just set a revenue target for gas taxes, and adjust them appropriately to meet it?  I can't see gas usage as being that bad of a proxy for how much infrastructure you use up.

So Tesla and Leaf owners should get a free ride?  That segment is only going to get bigger as time goes on.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 28, 2013, 09:05:15 PM
So Tesla and Leaf owners should get a free ride?

Yes. For helping postpone the collapse of civilization if nothing else.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 28, 2013, 09:05:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2013, 09:00:41 PM

So Tesla and Leaf owners should get a free ride?  That segment is only going to get bigger as time goes on.
I don't think the magnitude of the problem is nearly big enough to ramp up the complexity so radically.  There won't be that many electric cars, and the amounts they save on gas tax are fairly trivial at the current rates.  Sometimes the flaws in the system are not worth fixing.

Grey Fox

It's coming. Anyway we'll all have Insurance mandated GPSs in our cars anyway.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.