News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Turkey Legalizes the Letters Q, W, and X.

Started by jimmy olsen, October 24, 2013, 11:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

This legislation may be too radical for me to support. :hmm:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2013/10/24/turkey_prime_minister_erdogan_s_democratizaton_package_legalizes_letters.html
QuoteTurkey Legalizes the Letters Q, W, and X. Yay Alphabet!

By Mark Liberman

Back in 2005, a Turkish court fined 20 Kurds 100 lira (US$74) for holding up placards at a New Year's celebration containing the letters Q and W. The use of those letters—and X as well—violated the law of Nov. 1, 1928 on Adoption and Application of Turkish Letters, the purpose of which was to change the writing system of Turkish from the Arabic-based system of the Ottomans to the Roman-based system developed under the secular, modernizing regime of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.

Now it's true that Q, W, and X aren't exactly winning popularity contests in any language, but what's so repugnant about them that a law should exist to prohibit their very existence? Well, for starters, they appear in Kurdish but not in Turkish, and restricting a minority language—Kurdish has historically been spoken by 10-25 percent of the country's population—is one way to oppress a minority.
Advertisement

And although the fine represented a technically correct application of the statute, enforcement of the law was selective. Western companies routinely used the banned letters—in advertising and promotion— without consequence, for example in the case of Xerox Turkey, a longstanding, habitual abuser of the dreaded X.

Or should I say formerly dreaded? After 85 years, the letters Q, W, and X have apparently been legalized as part of Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's "Democratization Package" of Sept. 30, 2013. Great news for both the Kurds and Roman alphabet completists.

At press time, the letter K said that it was glad to have its brethren back in the fold. Diphthongs, however, remain verboten.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Too little, too late.  Stop pretending to be part of Western civilization, just because one time you marched on Vienna.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Camerus

Twice, actually.  But yeah, September 11, 1683 was as close as they got to being part of Western civilization.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on October 25, 2013, 02:10:27 AM
Too little, too late.  Stop pretending to be part of Western civilization, just because one time you marched on Vienna.

The irony is that these laws were enacted to try to make them more a part of Western civilization.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 25, 2013, 11:45:13 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 25, 2013, 02:10:27 AM

The irony is that these laws were enacted to try to make them more a part of Western civilization.
I dunno. It's pretty messed up from an anglo-american standpoint but see also: France.
██████
██████
██████