Main Menu

Banksy thwarted by New York police

Started by garbon, October 24, 2013, 07:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 24, 2013, 09:37:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 07:50:01 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/banksy-thwarted-york-police-182939501.html

"Graffiti does ruin people's property, and it's a sign of decay and loss of control," Bloomberg said last week. "Some places are for arts, and some aren't."

In Williamsburg, Brooklyn, the owner of a building -- on which Banksy painted two geishas on a bridge -- was tagged and put guards on watch.

The artist's take on the twin towers of the World Trade Center brought down on September 11, 2001 -- painted in Brooklyn Heights, was removed after less than a week.
If his art is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars per piece why would you remove it?  :huh:

Regardless of your own personal opinion of its artistic quality that just seems like a bad financial decision.

I believe that might be the one that a woman had her pug pee on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Didnt know who he was until I read this thread.  I like the art.  I look forward to the day he comes to Vancouver.  It would raise the bar.

Habbaku

I enjoy his art so much that I, gasp, watched the documentary made about him.  Neat stuff.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

His fake Syrian rebel video was pretty cool.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 01:13:30 PM
A beautiful crime is still a crime.

Oh, man, that is, like, soooooooo profound.  Dude.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on October 24, 2013, 01:23:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 01:13:30 PM
A beautiful crime is still a crime.

Oh, man, that is, like, soooooooo profound.  Dude.

I wasn't trying to profound, I just see no reason to excuse criminal actions for the sake of art.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

If the owners of the buildings didn't give permission for this why wouldn't it be considered graffiti?
PDH!

merithyn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 24, 2013, 02:46:05 PM
If the owners of the buildings didn't give permission for this why wouldn't it be considered graffiti?

No one said it wasn't. :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 24, 2013, 02:46:05 PM

Bansky is known, in larger part, as a graffiti artist. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

By all accounts who he is, is an open secret in the art world.

A while back I had a chat with a guy who'd seen his 'crew' in action.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2013, 03:17:44 PM

But what did the ambassador of Equatorial Guinea have to say?

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 03:59:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2013, 03:17:44 PM

But what did the ambassador of Equatorial Guinea have to say?

What does Mari-Cruz Evuna Andeme have to do with it? :huh:

And since Equatorial Guniea is in the Commonwealth, they have a High Commissioner in London, not an Ambassador. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2013, 12:30:21 PM
Didnt know who he was until I read this thread.  I like the art.  I look forward to the day he comes to Vancouver.  It would raise the bar.

I thought he'd already been to Vancouver- he's been operational for a little while now.
Experience bij!