And we're back!

Main Menu

CSI Venezuela

Started by Savonarola, October 22, 2013, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 27, 2017, 12:15:10 PM
Maduro's solution to his country's problem: MOAR ARMED MILITIAS

Wonder what he thinks his best case scenario is?

I suspect he's just playing out the string at this point.  Maduro has no real exit plan at this point.  There's no country he can flee to that would give him protection (or even if he does go to, say, Cuba, all of the senior leadership of Chavistas can't exactly follow).  If the Chavista government falls they're liable to prosecution or just straight-up mob violence.

Valmy - where does he go with those hundreds of millions that won't lock him up and send him back to Venezuela if extradition is requested?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2017, 12:21:57 PM

Valmy - where does he go with those hundreds of millions that won't lock him up and send him back to Venezuela if extradition is requested?

These guys always find someplace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

I think there are plenty of places that, if he can escape with the money, will hold onto him for some fraction of his take.

Berkut

I hear Moscow is nice.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2017, 12:24:13 PM

These guys always find someplace.

Not really.  I mean - US backed dictators make out okay.  Marcos died in comfortable exile, as did the Shah. Duvalier was okay until he foolishly went back to Haiti on his own.

But dictators who were stridently anti-US?  Idi Amin lived in Saudi Arabia, hardly a vacation spot.  Tunisia's Ben Ali also lives there.

Cuba and Russia... they certainly don't want Maduro and Co to lose power, so they may not give them much of an option to flee.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Can't remember where he ended up but Carter famously denied entry to the Shah.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2017, 12:47:25 PM

I think he ended up in France (edit: nope, Egypt).

Eddie Teach

He did? I thought that was their pretext for the hostages.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

It'll be like Afghanistan, but with hypnotic Carribean rythm and flair.

Syt

Time to break this out again:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

First game was better.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

While reading an article yesterday I came across the word autogolpe which is a coup organized by the government itself to allow it to take extra powers.  On the one hand that there is such a word in the Spanish language tells a great deal about Latin America.  On the other hand, as an English speaker, I think we should steal this word just in case we ever have use for it.   :bowler:

("False flag" or "Wag the dog" would be related concepts in English, but nowhere near as specific as autogolpe.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 27, 2017, 01:00:21 PM

He did? I thought that was their pretext for the hostages.  :hmm:

He was in the USA when they took the hostages. At the Cornell Medical Center or in Texas.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: frunk on April 27, 2017, 12:49:06 PM

I think he ended up in France (edit: nope, Egypt).

The Iranian who ended up in France for a while was Khomeiny.  :frusty:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Savonarola on May 02, 2017, 09:19:30 AM
While reading an article yesterday I came across the word autogolpe which is a coup organized by the government itself to allow it to take extra powers.  On the one hand that there is such a word in the Spanish language tells a great deal about Latin America.  On the other hand, as an English speaker, I think we should steal this word just in case we ever have use for it.   :bowler:

("False flag" or "Wag the dog" would be related concepts in English, but nowhere near as specific as autogolpe.)

Maybe they have a good Turkish word?