Dmanisi Skull Fossil Heavily Prunes Back the Human Family Tree

Started by jimmy olsen, October 21, 2013, 11:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 23, 2013, 11:39:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2013, 08:24:32 AM
Whoever named the ancestor of humanity "homo erectus" obviously did not have pre-teen kids prone to giggling.  :P
Wasn't he Dutch? May not have the same meaning in that language.
Whoever named the ancestor of humanity "homo erectus" obviously did not have pre-teen kids prone to giggling.  :P

Yes, being Dutch would make words in Latin change their meaning.

Erectus means upright in Latin, oppreijst in dutch I think, which I think literally translates to "has stood up".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

dps

Quote from: Viking on March 02, 2014, 09:03:12 AM

Erectus means upright in Latin, oppreijst in dutch I think, which I think literally translates to "has stood up".

Not to defend Timmay, but I think he meant that in Dutch, the word for a hard-on might not be "erection", not that being Dutch would change the meaning of a Latin word.

KRonn

I'm kind of surprised that they're only now giving less significance to minor differences, such as brain size, which occurs in modern humans and chimps (as the first thread starter article points out). Before they considered the differences to be marks of different species. I would have thought this would have earlier been a bigger and more important consideration before  making determinations of a different species of early human.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on March 02, 2014, 09:03:12 AM

It was a joke you guys are taking way too seriously.  :lol:

In English, "homo" is slang for "homosexual" (and "erectus" sounds like "erection"), but I'm pretty sure that wasn't true back in the 1890s when this fossil was named, even in English.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2014, 09:10:30 AM
In English, "homo" is slang for "homosexual" (and "erectus" sounds like "erection"), but I'm pretty sure that wasn't true back in the 1890s when this fossil was named, even in English.  ;)

Made me think back to grade school PE classes when we were told to stand erect. When a few of us sniggered the teacher was genuinely perplexed.