13 (22.8%)
I am both soldier and lawyer
3 (5.3%)
I am Jaron
23 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2013, 02:31:43 PM
I suspect calling a marine a "soldier" is one of those military solecisms that are drilled into people in the armed services, but are made all the time by people outside the services.

"This is mah rifle, this is mah gun; this one's for fightin' and this one's for fun!"

It could just be the Marine corps is composed mostly of arrogant jackasses.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2013, 03:11:01 PM
I suspect calling a marine a "soldier" is one of those military solecisms that are drilled into people in the armed services, but are made all the time by people outside the services.

"This is mah rifle, this is mah gun; this one's for fightin' and this one's for fun!"

It could just be the Marine corps is composed mostly of arrogant jackasses.

The inter-service rivalry stuff is pretty tiresome for civilians I have to say.  'Yes yes I realize now you were backup assistant mechanic 3rd class in the Merchant Marine, I never meant to imply you were a latrine digger in the Coast Guard.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Any group of people who insist that outsiders use jargon are pretty tiresome.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2013, 01:20:19 PM
But so how is it wrong for a UK or Canadian citizen to call a US Marine a soldier?

It is wrong because a US Marine isn't a soldier. 

Quote1mil·i·tary adjective \ˈmi-lə-ˌter-ē\
: of or relating to soldiers or the armed forces (such as the army, navy, marines, and air force)

: of or relating to the army

: controlled or supported by armed forces
So you found a dictionary that doesn't understand the distinction between the United States Military Academy and the United States Naval Academy.  That doesn't change any definitions, it just shows that anonymous dictionaries can be wrong, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Can't you tell the difference between Chinamen and Mexiricans?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Yep.  Kinda like the barrister/solicitor distinction in the UK, or doctor versus surgeon.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Do surgeons get pissy about being called "doctor"?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2013, 02:21:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 21, 2013, 02:16:42 PM
Would the majority of US marines be ok with being described as infantry (at those that perform that function) ?

Or perhaps naval infantry?

"Who you callin an infant?  :mad: "

Majority of US Marines are pogs, they ain't  infantry.4

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 21, 2013, 06:06:39 PM
Do surgeons get pissy about being called "doctor"?  :huh:

British doctors get pissy when they hear a surgeon called "doctor."  Apparently, back in the day, doctors came to the front door, surgeons to the servants' door.  In Britain, surgeons are called "mister," not "doctor."

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on October 21, 2013, 06:27:23 PM
Majority of US Marines are pogs, they ain't  infantry.4

Correct. They are all riflemen first, but the USMC is an integrated all-arms outfit, not half of one like the USA and USAAF.

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2013, 01:06:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2013, 12:40:42 PM
Quote1sol·dier noun \ˈsōl-jər\
: a person who is in the military : a member of an army

It seems like a matter of useage.  I understand how the uS military uses it (and seems reflected in this definition). but calling a marine a soldier isn't 'by-definition' wrong, either.

The US military calls their servicemen soldiers and airmen (or aviators, for the officers).  The US naval forces call their people sailors and Marines.  It really doesn't matter what the Canadians call their people, or what the US military calls their people, though, and the US Marines are neither Canadian nor military.  By definition.
It doesn't really matter how the US military defines anything.  They can define black as white and up as down, but a US Marine is still just a kind of soldier and you're still a faggot and a cunt.  :mellow:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2013, 06:02:58 PM

Yep.  Kinda like the barrister/solicitor distinction in the UK, or doctor versus surgeon.

MAH CLIP MAGAZINE

Admiral Yi

Seems to me if you're going to take exception to the soldier/Marine distinction, you also need to take exception to the soldier/sailor/airman one.

I once told a retired Marine officer in a nudey bar that I had heard the Army's nickname for Marines was bullet-stoppers.  He told me I was a punk and he didn't want to talk to me any more.  :(