11 counties to vote on seceding from Colorado because it's too liberal

Started by Syt, October 12, 2013, 11:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2013, 02:55:30 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 13, 2013, 01:52:02 PM
I don't see how it wasn't, the Constitution prohibits dividing States without the consent of the State involved. Right there in Article IV of the Constitution. Virginia never approved the splitting off of the western counties.

I believe that Virginia did approve, post-war.

Yes, but only in the sense that if a man holds a gun to my head and asks for my wallet I "give" it to him.

As a condition for Virginia to receive Congressional representation in 1869, the U.S. Congress set as a condition for their readmission to legislative representation they accept all of the acts taken to make West Virginia a State during the war. Even with that coerced approval, I'd question the legality of the initial act in 1863 recognizing West Virginia. Since that initial act clearly goes against the Constitution, I don't see how something that is required before said act could happen could be accepted legally six years after the fact.

PDH

Sorry, when you are in rebellion all the shit that is done to you is deserved.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on October 13, 2013, 06:12:32 PM

:yes:

Though I think I'd add something about your rebellion being unjustified because of suspect motives. After all, there are times when rebellion is justified.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2013, 06:20:25 PM

Though I think I'd add something about your rebellion being unjustified because of suspect motives. After all, there are times when rebellion is justified.

Pffft, when it is justified it is a fight for freedom.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on October 13, 2013, 06:24:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2013, 06:20:25 PM

Pffft, when it is justified it is a fight for freedom.

Well yes. I wasn't trying to say the Civil War was one of those times.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 13, 2013, 06:10:32 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2013, 02:55:30 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 13, 2013, 01:52:02 PM
I don't see how it wasn't, the Constitution prohibits dividing States without the consent of the State involved. Right there in Article IV of the Constitution. Virginia never approved the splitting off of the western counties.

I believe that Virginia did approve, post-war.

Yes, but only in the sense that if a man holds a gun to my head and asks for my wallet I "give" it to him.

As a condition for Virginia to receive Congressional representation in 1869, the U.S. Congress set as a condition for their readmission to legislative representation they accept all of the acts taken to make West Virginia a State during the war. Even with that coerced approval, I'd question the legality of the initial act in 1863 recognizing West Virginia. Since that initial act clearly goes against the Constitution, I don't see how something that is required before said act could happen could be accepted legally six years after the fact.

Technically, there was a pro-Union alternate Virginia state government formed in 1861 that gave its consent.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2013, 09:39:39 AM
Good for them. Colorado used to have a good balance of hippies and normal people. Now there are way too many hippies that have moved in.

Yeah crazy Lettowist idiocy is what normal people do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2013, 07:03:44 PM
Good for them. Colorado used to have a good balance of hippies and normal people. Now there are way too many hippies that have moved in.

Derspeiss will be more then happy to send over some taxpayer money when their two senators demand massive amounts of federal money to keep their constituents uneconomic farms afloat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2013, 09:58:50 PM

Derspeiss will be more then happy to send over some taxpayer money when their two senators demand massive amounts of federal money to keep their constituents uneconomic farms afloat.

Farm subsidies.  Yuck.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Valmy

The farm subsidies are awesome.  One of those wonderful symbols of US political decadence.  A policy that everybody hates left and right...but are completely unwilling to actually get rid of.  Sort of like the minting of pennies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on October 14, 2013, 07:55:51 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2013, 09:58:50 PM

Farm subsidies.  Yuck.

More then that.  They rely on the rest of Colorado for their infrastructure one of their complaints was that they weren't getting enough funding.  If they were their own state they would be requesting their infrastructure be payed for by the feds. Large rural areas with small populations can't build their own infrastructure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

QuoteThey bristle at gun control laws and marijuana shops, green energy policies and steps to embrace gay marriage and illegal immigrants.
So basically they have no issue with anything genuinely dodgy (except maybe the immigrants issue) and instead merely hate all the good points about the left?
Yeah, my respect for them: zero.
██████
██████
██████