China developing 180,000-ton catamaran aircraft carrier

Started by jimmy olsen, October 11, 2013, 03:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2013, 11:46:37 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2013, 07:47:07 PM
the crappy little warheads on the modern things are designed to fuck up high rpm finely machined turbine engines as you find in helicopters and jet planes. Trying to take down a WW2 bomber would probably require multiple hits with missiles.. in more than one engine.

Not so.  A modern missile warhead would rip open fuel tanks and the plane would go down in flames.  WW2 bombers were able to survive small bullets holes, but not massive shaped-charge-type holes.

AA missiles use massive shaped charges? I'd use high explosive fragmentation explosives imho.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

sbr

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2013, 07:19:05 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2013, 11:46:37 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2013, 07:47:07 PM
the crappy little warheads on the modern things are designed to fuck up high rpm finely machined turbine engines as you find in helicopters and jet planes. Trying to take down a WW2 bomber would probably require multiple hits with missiles.. in more than one engine.

Not so.  A modern missile warhead would rip open fuel tanks and the plane would go down in flames.  WW2 bombers were able to survive small bullets holes, but not massive shaped-charge-type holes.

AA missiles use massive shaped charges? I'd use high explosive fragmentation explosives imho.

Hopefully someone passes your expert opinion on to the hacks who design these things.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2013, 07:15:49 PM
The discussion about whether a WW2 strategic bomber could survive a modern-day missile weapon is about as interesting as whether or not swarms of Incan torpedo boats could sink the USS New Jersey.  Only dumber.

I think Patton's Third Army could have taken modern day Iraq.

And probably would have had far better RoE too.  Heck, he'd have the Iraqi army invading Iran in no time.

Viking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge

The thing about shaped charges is that they do not have any form of useful radius of effect. They are specifically shaped to provide maximum penetration to a depth of a few inches and need to be a specific (and very short) distance from the target. They are anti-tank armor penetrating munitions which are also used in the oil industry to punch thin holes in rocks. The shaped charge is all about concentrating as much of the explosives penetrative power at one specific point.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIM-92_Stinger)

has the stinger using an "Annular blast fragmentation" warhead, which I believe to be the technical term for a cylinder of high explosives surrounded by small metal fragments. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

That's what I like about viking.  All short term memory.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2013, 07:19:05 PM

Larger ones use an expanding rod (ring, really) to create a buzzsaw effect.  Smaller ones use a shaped charge with a radar fuse that sets off the charge in the direction of the target, with frag effects.  Stinger uses a hit-to-kill warhead, so I don't know how directional the blast is.

At least, that's how it was a dozen or so years ago. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

A warhead filled with those tiny bibles they gave away in elementary school.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2013, 08:15:13 PM
A warhead filled with those tiny bibles they gave away in elementary school.
Smite them with the force of Jaaaaysus!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!