Chemical Weapons Watchdog wins Nobel Peace Prize

Started by Viking, October 11, 2013, 08:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2013, 12:47:11 PM
Quote from: Warspite on October 12, 2013, 08:12:45 AM
The OPCW is a fine organisation, but the Peace Prize? Really?

These guys help with implementation, but they're not the reason Assad decided to sign the CWC. If that's what the prize is for, then you need to give it to Putin or Lavrov (which would, of course, be very silly).

The intention of the prize was to reward people and organizations which worked for peace and human comity. Unlike many of the recent winners this organization actually meets the scope of the prize as described in Nobel's will. They are not the reason why Assad will hand over his weapons, they are the reason that people who don't trust assad, don't trust the russians, the americans or the zionists will trust to verify that he has disarmed.

That's my point, though. Awarding a Nobel to a useful verification mechanism is as much a stunt as, say, Obama's prize. And at least Obama's first term saw the revival of a hitherto moribund nuclear disarmament process as a result of his Global Zero speech.

Again, I'm not knocking the OPCW. They're doing vital work in a dangerous part of the world. But there are a lot of other NGOs that do this, and frankly work in dangerous areas as a matter of course rather than an exception.

I'm of the view that the prize should not be awarded every year unless there is a exceptionally deserving winner.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on October 14, 2013, 05:02:46 AM
I'm of the view that the prize should not be awarded every year unless there is a exceptionally deserving winner.

This.  The prize is degraded when awarded just so that it is awarded.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!