News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

USPS may destroy 'unsafe' stamps

Started by garbon, October 11, 2013, 07:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/usps-to-destroy--unsafe--stamps-205228348.html

QuoteRun! Jump! Leap! It all seems pretty innocent, but the U.S. Postal Service is faced with a decision to destroy its series of "Just Move" stamps because of safety concerns, according to Linns Stamp News, and we're not talking about a paper cut on your tongue.

The colorful cartoon stamps, based on Michelle Obama's Let's Move initiative, were intended to encourage an active lifestyle and raise awareness about physical activity. But the images on some of the stamps are not kosher with the President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition, according to the stamps designer, Eli Noyes, who told Linns, "Apparently the President's Council [on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition] and the Let's Move people saw them and had issues with them."

The stamps in question: a skateboarder sans kneepads, a swimmer doing a cannonball, and a kid doing a headstand without a helmet, and because of these issues, it's likely you won't ever get to send your mail with these particular adhesives.

A spokesman at the USPS told Yahoo the stamps are sitting at a printer in upstate New York, awaiting a decision on their fate.

What do you think? Is eliminating these stamps unnecessary. Is it the right thing to do? Do you even use stamps anymore?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

You're supposed to use a helmet to do a headstand now?  Man you guys are fucked up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

QuoteIs eliminating these stamps unnecessary. Is it the right thing to do? Do you even use stamps anymore?

Yes. No. Not really.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2013, 07:37:29 AM
You're supposed to use a helmet to do a headstand now?  Man you guys are fucked up.

There have been a lot of silly issues raised lately, but this is amongst the silliest.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Give them all lawn dart sets from the early 70s.  All the safety issues will be sorted out.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Once again, it's lawyers to the rescue, but some of those stamps are a little dangerous.

The "bounce/dribble" kid playing basketball is committing some sort of Hack-A-Shaq personal foul.  That's just wrong.   And look at the kid doing the Cannonball...looks like he's Cannonballing right into pavement.  That's just wrong as well.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on October 11, 2013, 07:52:29 AM
Give them all lawn dart sets from the early 70s.  All the safety issues will be sorted out.

Or a croquet mallet. Raised high to strike some goober's head.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Yeah, this is another sign that our time has passed :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2013, 07:55:31 AM
And look at the kid doing the Cannonball...looks like he's Cannonballing right into pavement.  That's just wrong as well.

I know pavement in B'moe might look all lumpy like that but it generally isn't like that. :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Shove your Manhattan pretentiousness.

mongers

Pity, as it's a nice set of stamps from UPS.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Malthus

Replace the set with a stylized kid-wrapped-in-bubblewrap motif.  :D

And make the kid fatter. This is America, goddamit!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2013, 08:21:10 AM
Pity, as it's a nice set of stamps from UPS.  :(

Are they? I mean the physical activities bit is alright but the actual stylizing isn't that great.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2013, 07:49:07 AM

There have been a lot of silly issues raised lately, but this is amongst the silliest.
don't you think of the children? :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.