Rabbis said to use torture to secure divorces for women

Started by merithyn, October 10, 2013, 12:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2013, 06:21:26 PM
Agree that hostile doesn't really work.  More like patronizing, dismissive, dishonest.

:o

Malthus

Agree that hostile doesn't really work.  More like patronizing, dismissive, dishonest.

Obviously, I don't agree with that characterization either. Where's your sense of proportion?

How about "mildly frustrated at inability of opponent to concede any point, even after having taken the trouble to repeat again and again actual evidence that was apparently not being read".

Shit, this in a thread where OvB was blatantly trolling the Canucks and where DG himself was making Jew cracks, with nary a peep out of you. Did I storm off in a huff about any of that?  :hmm:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

How about

"you cracked under the pressure of fending off multiple posts simultaneously, and would like to de-escalate but have compounded the error by refusing to acknowledge it for so long and are now unable to do so?"

PDH

I liked my tack better.  It was mainly to post something in the thread but I think it conveyed the mindless idiotic attacks that are the bread and butter of this board.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2013, 06:30:20 PM
How about

"you cracked under the pressure of fending off multiple posts simultaneously, and would like to de-escalate but have compounded the error by refusing to acknowledge it for so long and are now unable to do so?"

Nope. Try again.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill, just as DG has.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2013, 06:30:20 PM
How about

You're completely off your rocker.

DGuller

:hmm: That does work better.  I withdraw my accusation of hostility.

Eddie Teach

If the guy has a religious obligation to grant the "get", seems it should be the synagogue stepping in, not the courts. Just declare his marriage gotten and have done with it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2013, 05:36:24 AM
If the guy has a religious obligation to grant the "get", seems it should be the synagogue stepping in, not the courts. Just declare his marriage gotten and have done with it. 

The reason that this is a better answer is that it allows someone qualified to determine whether someone has a religious obligation.  I'd argue that the court is absolutely not in the position of telling the husband what his religious obligations are, and while Malthus can argue that the obligation exists and that the guy is an asshole for not meeting the obligation, that begs the question of whether the obligation exists (given that the husband clearly doesn't believe that it does, as he isn't granting the get).

Let some religious authority decide religious dogma.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!