News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Power Most Responsible for WW1?

Started by Queequeg, October 08, 2013, 11:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seems pretty self-explanatory.  Which great power bore the greatest responsibility for the outbreak of war in 1914?

Germany
10 (23.3%)
Russia
17 (39.5%)
Austria-Hungary
12 (27.9%)
France
1 (2.3%)
Great Britain
1 (2.3%)
Montenegro-the Jews-Bechuanaland Protectorate
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 09, 2013, 04:05:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2013, 03:53:21 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 09, 2013, 03:09:39 PM
The real problem here is treating "international law" in matters of war and peace as if it was anything like "law" as is understood in a Western domestic context - as part of something known as "the rule of law".

"International law" has none of the characteristics associated with "the rule of law". The whole point of the "rule of law" is that the law is itself a source of authority that prevents (or at least attempts to prevent) the arbitrary, self-serving abuse of power.

"International law" is, at best, "rule by law" (as opposed to rule of law), meaning that it is the device by which those who have power express and enforce it. The Treaty of Versailles making Germany accept 'the blame' is a perfect example of this. Germany accepted 'the blame' because Germany lost the battles, not because some impartial legal process objectively judged Germany to be guilty, like a court. If Germany had won the battles, it would be the Allies accepting 'the blame'.

How does this undersstanding influence your view on the Nuremberg trials and subsequent developments in international humanitarian law?

Doesn't directly deal with the law of peace and war. Those "laws" deal with matters on the national level - treaties, alliances and the like.

There are plenty of aspects of "international law" which the major nations are happy to have work more or less like the "rule of law", because it suits them - except for when it doesn't.

The Nuremberg trials were an example of that. I'm not fussed about any alleged "injustice" done to the Nazis, because they obviously had it comming, and the trials themselves worked like real trials, with evidence and stuff. However, just as obviously, some of the victors were just as guilty - such as the Soviets - and they were there as judges, not as defendants. So the trials worked like real trials, only the only actual defendants were those who had lost, and the trials only occurred because it suited the winners. 

International humanitarian law has continued this tradition. It is a threat to the powerless, and a sometimes-pawn to be used for propaganda - which doesn't mean for a second that some of the defendants are not guilty and deserving of punishment, or that the trials themselves are rigged. Only it doesn't have the effect desired by the "rule of law" - namely, to restrain the powerful.

Thanks for that. 

I try and avoid making the emboldened argument, but it does have a certain forceful, ring of 'truth' about it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Russia.  Then Austria.  Then France and Germany equally.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2013, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 09, 2013, 03:08:48 PM
The much shorter treaty of Brest-Litovsk has no similar clause.

After listing all the territory they wanted ceded the Germans ran out of ink.

Naval blockade's a bitch.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 02:16:01 PM
A war book written by a chick?

C. V. Wedgwood is one of the best historians of a couple wars.    :mellow:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on October 09, 2013, 04:05:52 PMDoesn't directly deal with the law of peace and war. Those "laws" deal with matters on the national level - treaties, alliances and the like.

There are plenty of aspects of "international law" which the major nations are happy to have work more or less like the "rule of law", because it suits them - except for when it doesn't.

The Nuremberg trials were an example of that. I'm not fussed about any alleged "injustice" done to the Nazis, because they obviously had it comming, and the trials themselves worked like real trials, with evidence and stuff. However, just as obviously, some of the victors were just as guilty - such as the Soviets - and they were there as judges, not as defendants. So the trials worked like real trials, only the only actual defendants were those who had lost, and the trials only occurred because it suited the winners. 

International humanitarian law has continued this tradition. It is a threat to the powerless, and a sometimes-pawn to be used for propaganda - which doesn't mean for a second that some of the defendants are not guilty and deserving of punishment, or that the trials themselves are rigged. Only it doesn't have the effect desired by the "rule of law" - namely, to restrain the powerful.

Very well put Malthus.

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on October 09, 2013, 06:49:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 02:16:01 PM
A war book written by a chick?

Thanks, smart guy.

Trolling aside, I was just noting it was rare.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on October 09, 2013, 06:49:40 PM

A great writer.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on October 09, 2013, 09:52:21 AM
Slavpologists make me sick btw.

Is this because Charles XII provoked the Russians into kicking Sweden's ass? :shifty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 09, 2013, 07:28:54 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 09, 2013, 09:52:21 AM
Slavpologists make me sick btw.

Is this because Charles XII provoked the Russians into kicking Sweden's ass? :shifty:

Elaborate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

That would require looking up more Swedish history.  :yuk:

Well played, sir.

The Brain

Eddie Teach

Oh, one thing I just remembered- the original Rus were from Sweden. So you're kinda bad-mouthing your cousins.  :P

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 10, 2013, 01:35:15 AM
Oh, one thing I just remembered- the original Rus were from Sweden. So you're kinda bad-mouthing your cousins.  :P

Rape-children of my cousins, maybe.

Neil

Austria and Russia also did a bad job of building dreadnoughts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2013, 09:32:38 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 10, 2013, 01:35:15 AM

Rape-children of my cousins, maybe.
I don't think we should judge entire ethnicities by fact that their ancestors were raped by Vikings. Most of western, central and eastern Europe was.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."