Debt Ceiling & Default - what's going to happen?

Started by Jacob, October 07, 2013, 04:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the debt ceiling be raised in time? If not, what happens than?

The debt ceiling will be raised in time.
12 (48%)
The debt ceiling will not be raised in time, there will be some sort of shenanigans, and the promised default fails to materialize.
6 (24%)
The debt ceiling will not be raised in time, there's a default; it lasts for a few weeks before they get their shit together and fix it.
3 (12%)
The debt ceiling will not be raised, there's a default, no fix materializes, and we're in for even more wackiness.
3 (12%)
Some other option.
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

CountDeMoney

He would've pissed it all away on hookers and blow anyway.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2013, 06:35:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2013, 06:30:13 PM
I know that the Supreme Court has ruled that Social Security is not a legal obligation.

If only Minsky was here right now  :(
Where is he? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Also on prioritisation, imagine the political consequences if the US government was choosing to pay Chinese debt holders over, say veterans' benefits...
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I voted other, but does "wackiness" encompass "bloody civil war"?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Thanks for that post, Sheilbh. I'd read elsewhere that prioritization was not just a matter of deciding but that lays it out better than what I'd come across previously.

Jacob

I voted "breach and a few weeks to fix" by the way. I don't think the GOP is taking it seriously enough - too many Rasputins and MiMs in their hinterland means there isn't enough pressure for a back down.

Then the shit does hit the fan, and it's a big enough mess that they realize it was a mistake, but it takes a bit to pick the broken egg back up.

I hope I'm wrong, though :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on October 08, 2013, 12:56:48 AM
Thanks for that post, Sheilbh. I'd read elsewhere that prioritization was not just a matter of deciding but that lays it out better than what I'd come across previously.
One other problem that isn't mentioned there is the legality. This would be the executive choosing which bills to pay. I don't believe that Congress has set the seniority levels of the spending bills they've passed - whether on the military, social security or whatever else.

At any other time this would be seen as an enormous power grab by the executive. This would surely be of dubious legality and need testing in the Supreme Court, or if legal an awful precedent to set.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

I saw mentioned elsewhere that Treasury might be able to limp along until the 31st servicing T-Bills, assuming the internal systems allow that sort of selective payouts.

In any case, when Social Security payments stop being processed that will be a major pain point. Same with military pay. I expect a resolution shortly after those thresholds are passed.

lustindarkness

Quote"Unlike a federal shutdown which has no impact on the payment of Social Security benefits, failure to raise the debt ceiling puts Social Security benefits at risk."
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Jacob

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 08, 2013, 11:35:51 AM
Quote"Unlike a federal shutdown which has no impact on the payment of Social Security benefits, failure to raise the debt ceiling puts Social Security benefits at risk."

Yup. That's going to be a turning point, I believe.

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2013, 12:03:53 PM
Guller: $30 even money cap is raised in time.
If I win, my $30 may be worth nothing.  I really can't begin to put the odds on it, except that I think they're significant.