News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wendy Davis running for Governor of Texas

Started by merithyn, October 04, 2013, 08:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Um yes there are lots of men in Austin and the other big cities that favor those things.  But they are in the minority.

The wild card in this is the fact the minorities in Texas, who should probably be running things around here as we are a minority majority state, typically do not vote in large percentages.  The Republicans have also done a good job in the past appeasing both the Latino community and the anti-immigrant voters in their base (the black voters of course vote overwhelmingly Democratic, which I suppose goes without saying).  I have my doubts Wendy Davis in the candidate to unleash this wild card, Abbot should win easily.  The only question is does she mobilize the Democrats to the point this leads to success in the future?  Doubtful but it is slightly interesting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2013, 09:18:23 AM

Valmy, you want to take this?

... or, maybe he lives in Austin and as everybody know Austin isn't Texas.

Perhaps it's not fair to say that Texas is "anti-education" or "anti-healthcare". They aren't so much against either, as against either that is done in a way that isn't in accordance with their approved methods and methodology.

Of course, those methods and methodology are deemed backwards and thirdworld-ish by most of the rest of the world, but there you go.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Our education strategy is to import educated people from Asia in large numbers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2013, 09:26:32 AM
The wild card in this is the fact the minorities in Texas, who should probably be running things around here as we are a minority majority state, typically do not vote in large percentages.  The Republicans have also done a good job in the past appeasing both the Latino community and the anti-immigrant voters in their base (the black voters of course vote overwhelmingly Democratic, which I suppose goes without saying).  I have my doubts Wendy Davis in the candidate to unleash this wild card, Abbot should win easily.  The only question is does she mobilize the Democrats to the point this leads to success in the future?  Doubtful but it is slightly interesting.

How do the Republicans appease the Latino community? It's always appeared that their way of dealing with Latinos is to do whatever they have to prevent them from voting.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2013, 09:29:23 AM

It's not the Asians that are insisting that Creationism be a viable educational subject matter. :contract:

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 09:30:33 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2013, 09:26:32 AM

How do the Republicans appease the Latino community? It's always appeared that their way of dealing with Latinos is to do whatever they have to prevent them from voting.

And as a Latino, how does that make you feel?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 09:31:14 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2013, 09:29:23 AM

It's not the Asians that are insisting that Creationism be a viable educational subject matter. :contract:

If only that was the extent of our problems.  Everything from curriculum to funding is seriously disfuctional.  That is not to say we do not have some good schools but it is very uneven with lots of very bad districts, particularly out of the suburbs.

The creationism, in its practicaly considerations, was five minutes of classtime in one class in one year of education, annoying but ultimately trivail compared  to the real problems.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 09:30:33 AM

That is a more recent development.  The nutty attitudes of the national party has really infected the base here and so we get things like that.  I was talking about in the past, George W Bush represents a bit of a high point would give speeches in Spanish and developed a great working relationship with Mexico.  It has been downhill a bit from there but they still have alot of Latino Conservatives here.  I mean check out Ted Cruz.

derspiess

I may stand with Rand, but I cruise with Cruz  :cool:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 09:41:45 AM

Cruz kind of looks like a blowhard to me.  Like what Jessie Jackson would have been like if he had ever actually gotten elected to something.

derspiess

Razgovory

I was impressed how he voted against aid for Hurricane Sandy victims, and for aid to the Texas town that was blown up by a fertilizer plant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2013, 09:43:17 AM
Cruz kind of looks like a blowhard to me.  Like what Jessie Jackson would have been like if he had ever actually gotten elected to something.

Ehh, possibly-- but with less rhyming & whatnot.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2013, 09:45:25 AM

I was impressed how he voted against aid for Hurricane Sandy victims, and for aid to the Texas town that was blown up by a fertilizer plant.

:yawn:

Don't forget, Cards game starts at noon Central.