Warn your daughters - technology in the bedroom can be a problem

Started by merithyn, September 27, 2013, 01:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 27, 2013, 09:53:10 PM
I told Riley this story, and her first response was, "So... I'll be putting tape over the camera..."

She's such a bright girl. :wub:

:thumbsup:  Hopefully Lola is as thoughtful.  Right now it's all I can do to keep her from running around the house without her diaper or pants on :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2013, 10:23:49 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 27, 2013, 10:13:41 PM
We live in a one-bedroom house. She can get dressed in her bedroom so that other people can get in the bathroom. :contract:

A one-bedroom house?  That has to be hard on your sex life.
Wasn't that the default for like 98% of humanity until the Industrial Revolution?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2013, 09:14:22 PM
And I don't keep a broken clock around just because it tells the right time twice a day either.

Why do you keep it around?

Ideologue

It annoys Yi in an occasionally humorous or otherwise entertaining fashion.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Quote from: dps on September 28, 2013, 05:49:29 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2013, 09:14:22 PM
And I don't keep a broken clock around just because it tells the right time twice a day either.

Why do you keep it around?
if he didn't use his broken right twice a day clock then he'd never be right :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Siege

Quote from: merithyn on September 27, 2013, 02:32:08 PM
Okay, that's the quick-fix. I want to know how to prevent someone from hacking into my computer at all.

Don't use computers?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on September 27, 2013, 01:57:58 PM
How does one prevent this from happening? Is it a password thing? If so, which password?
1- Make sure you have a sofware firewall and an hardware firewall.
2- Make sure you have an anti-virus and an anti-spyware.
3- Make regular scans.
4- Make regular updates to all your softwares and to your OS.
5- Beware of links you receive from strangers, never click on them.
6- Keep your router firmware updated, or even better yet, use an Open-Source firmware like dd-wrt.  The default firmware of many commercial routers contain known, unpatched exploits.
7- Disable UPnP (Universal Plug&Play) on your router, due to #6.
8- The integrated webcam on the laptop won't work if the lid is shut...  just sayin'.  For a regulard external webcam on any PC, just unplug it.

It will not prevent a good hacker to hack your computer if he choses so.  Some governments have way more securities than we can afford and they do get hacked.  However, it will deter 99,9% of the script kiddies out there.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.