News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2013, 02:08:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 01:52:17 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2013, 01:45:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2013, 01:44:16 PM
Hmmm.  I thought the exchanges were for individuals and employers who previously weren't purchasing insurance.

Not according to my Director, but she could be wrong.

I know that here we are getting the option of the exchange as well. They send us a million different files about it.  Yay more paperwork to read?

In Illinois, you can do it all online.

Save the trees! :w00t:

Actually I realized that given the health plan my company has (inspired by UK/Canadian health care systems) that I likely have no benefit from an exchange.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

I think my school will probably stay under Bushcare and its disastrous price increases for at least another year.

The plan I have was a great one when it started, six years ago, but Bushcare has made it less and less attractive each year.  Now it is a mediocre plan, at best.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

What do you mean by Bushcare, grumbler?

crazy canuck

And what has made it less attractive?  Higher cost for you?  Less benefits?

Caliga

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2013, 03:39:54 PM
It's a kindler, gentler, healthcare plan.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2013, 03:51:08 PM
It's a kindler, gentler, healthcare plan.

A thousand points of coverage.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

The health care system(s) the country had under George W. Bush and before the implementation of Obamacare.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 03:50:14 PM

Yes and yes.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

The biggest problem is rising costs, combined with a steep rise (from $1500 to $3000 in three years) in the amount I pay out of my HSA before the system kicks in to pay 100% of costs. 

Bayraktar!

sbr

I don't think there will be any effect on me.  The only place I have to go is down though, since I don't pay a cent of premiums myself and have a pretty good plan.  I saw some gobbledygook in the union propaganda letter about the multi-employer trust fund not getting an exemption for something that something got for something or another but I didn't really look into it.

EDIT:  I have a pretty sweet flexible spending plan too.  I get a dollar/ dollar and a half per hour in my fund and I don't lose it and the end of the year, so I can hoard up as much money in it as I can.

derspiess

I wish the HSA/high deductible plan option was available when I first started working.  I would have accumulated a nice little cushion in the 10 years or so before we had kids.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on September 25, 2013, 03:53:57 PMThe health care system(s) the country had under George W. Bush and before the implementation of Obamacare.

Gotcha. Thanks :)

It's what I thought, but sometimes you can be tricky...

Darth Wagtaros

I live in a Romney-care state.
PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on September 25, 2013, 03:56:21 PM

The biggest problem is rising costs, combined with a steep rise (from $1500 to $3000 in three years) in the amount I pay out of my HSA before the system kicks in to pay 100% of costs.

Yikes.  With that kind of a deductable I would assume people would be reluctant to seek health care.