News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

America says it has got poorer. That's rich

Started by garbon, September 25, 2013, 12:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2013, 04:10:06 PM
1980 census - mean commute times were 21.7 minutes, with 11.6% of workers having commute times of 45 minutes or over.
Now it over 25 minutes with 14.6% at 45 minutes or over.

Haven't we also seen increases in car ownership since 1980?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2013, 04:11:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 04:09:55 PM
My '07 Civic is certainly better than an '82 Accord. :angry:

A sophisticated affluent and fashionable urbanite driving a 7 year old car?
QED

Well, of course. I live in NYC, so I really shouldn't be driving any car.

Also, I liked that when I just took my car in for service, the dealership called me while I was waiting in lounge to tell me they want to buy my car and have me buy a new one. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2013, 04:11:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 04:09:55 PM
My '07 Civic is certainly better than an '82 Accord. :angry:

A sophisticated affluent and fashionable urbanite driving a 7 year old car?
QED

And my car's 14 years old.  Even in SC, that's fucked up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Iormlund

Quote from: Original Article on September 25, 2013, 12:18:31 PM... cars are both more powerful (80 percent more horsepower on average) ...

Warning: completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

I love when people put forward random statistical facts they don't understand to prove something. Cars are more powerful, yes. That's because they are a lot heavier as well.

Reminds me of the highway price per km comparison between Germany and Spain (or Italy, or Greece), used to imply massive corruption. The data looks really bad if you don't know that, unlike Germany, Spain is criss-crossed by mountain ranges, which makes building highways much, much more expensive.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2013, 04:05:02 PM
I am not entirely sold about the quality advantage.  My first car was an 82 Honda Accord.  Good gas mileage, never needed service beyond an oil change.  Today's Accords have better safety features, but other than that ?
Not having it break nearly as often?  And safety features are pretty valuable, if you put a dollar figure on your life and do the calculations.  If you value your life at, say, $10 million, then the cost of the risk of dying in a car accident today is about 10 cents per mile.  If you drive 20,000 miles a year, that's $2000 a year.  I can't find the statistics for 1982, but I think a conservative assumption is that the death rate per 100 million miles was triple of that.  So improvement in safety alone makes you $4,000 per year richer.

Incidentally, these kinds of calculations is why I find the logic of giving young drivers cheap old cars to drive, because they'll probably crash then anyway, silly and short-sighted.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on September 25, 2013, 06:32:43 PM
I love when people put forward random statistical facts they don't understand to prove something. Cars are more powerful, yes. That's because they are a lot heavier as well.
They are, but nevertheless, today's mid-range Honda is going to smoke a fancy BMW from 1980.

MadImmortalMan

What if you value your life at about $17.50?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

I value my life around -$120,000.

But as the saying goes, the bank has a problem.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2013, 07:08:49 PM
I value my life around -$120,000.

But as the saying goes, the bank has a problem.

Genuine greener fields.

You should emigrate.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

And be ostracized by barristers and solicitors for my superior education?  No thanks.
Kinemalogue

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2013, 07:16:03 PM
And be ostracized by barristers and solicitors for my superior education?  No thanks.

No, not here, but anywhere else, why not try Brazil*, Angola, Denmark, Italy, Uganda or Vietnam. 

*hint non of these places have a strategic bomber force and are better for the lack of.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

mongers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?