News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Four more years: Merkel re-elected

Started by Zanza, September 22, 2013, 12:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 24, 2013, 02:32:50 AM
Basically, the Nazis were just the same as the soviets on most economic things---with war as the excuse. It also gives a lot of insight on why Hitler needed to go to war when he did.

Once you put your economy into what is essentially a war production footing, it's got to go somewhere.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 24, 2013, 02:32:50 AM
I've been reading about the economic policies of the 3rd Reich, and combined with the Weimar history, I finally understand why these people are doing what they are doing.

There isn't a Soviet Union to keep up with now though, and the West are allies.

Wonderful book. Basically, the Nazis were just the same as the soviets on most economic things---with war as the excuse. It also gives a lot of insight on why Hitler needed to go to war when he did.

Great book. 

Too bad slargos isn't around so we can recommend it to him.   ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2013, 04:05:06 AM
I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that the Reich was so in the red from their massive rearmament program and domestic spending that they needed to loot Europe like the Romans to keep the economy going.

They could have brought the economy back into reasonable balance by slowing down the arms buildup.  That is what Schacht (the architect of the prewar recovery) recommended.  Of course, Hitler chose a different approach.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

OTOH, the Nazis never put the entire economy on a war footing the way the US did.

Queequeg

Quote from: dps on September 24, 2013, 10:18:07 AM
OTOH, the Nazis never put the entire economy on a war footing the way the US did.
Kind of a myth according to Evans, they went from incompetent management to having B-24s and Lancasters fucking their shit up.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

USAF and Bomber Command did to Germany what Evans did to David Irving.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

That's.....that's bad right? Irving was the apologist?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Btw, the first African-born member of parliament in Germany:

Karamba Diaby, born in Senegal.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.