News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

William "Freddie" McCullough obituary

Started by lustindarkness, September 19, 2013, 09:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/306649/3/Savannah-obit-goes-viral-TV-show-in-the-works

QuoteSavannah obit goes viral, TV show in the works
8:06 AM, Sep 17, 2013   |    comments
Tweet   
Facebook Twitter Google buzz Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Newsvine Buzz up! Fark it   - A A A + Atlanta
Atlanta Business Chronicle  FILED UNDER
Local News Headlines

SAVANNAH, Ga. -- William "Freddie" McCullough didn't conform during his life, nor did his colorful obituary that has gotten the attention of hundreds of thousands of people. The death notice, packed with detail and humor, was written by his son for the Savannah Morning News on Saturday and has since gone viral.

According to the obituary written by Mark McCullough, "Freddie loved deep fried Southern food covered in Cane Syrup, fishing at Santee Cooper Lake, Little Debbie Cakes, Two and a Half Men, beautiful women, Reese's Cups and Jim Beam." And, "Not necessarily in that order."

The Savannah paper reports that Mark, who is filmmaker, writer, director and producer, prepared himself to write about his dad by reading 50 or so obituaries, most of them listing schools attended, awards received and illnesses battled. They served as a lesson in what not to write, the paper says.

"Our dad was a unique and special guy" said McCullough, the oldest of six kids. "I wanted to do things differently to honor him with an obit that fit him."

McCullough, who recently moved back to the Savannah area from Los Angeles, is executive producer for Fort Argyle Films. He's developing a TV show based on his dad's "life's adventures," but is dismissive of praise he's received for writing about his father, the Savannah paper reports.

"I can't take credit," he said. "I just wrote down what happened."

The obituary says McCullough hated vegetables and hypocrites.

It also says, "Freddie adored the ladies. And they adored him. There isn't enough space here to list all of the women from Freddie's past. There isn't enough space in the Bloomingdale phone book ... He attracted more women than a shoe sale at Macy's. He got married when he was 18 but it didn't last. Freddie was no quitter, however, so he gave it a shot two more times."

The Savannah paper says that the funeral on Thursday, McCullough's children tucked Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and a bottle of Jim Beam into his coffin. Then the six of them, clad in Harley T-shirts and jeans, hopped on motorcycles to lead the procession to the cemetery.

"All of us kids, we know our dad," Mark McCullough said. "He was the kind of guy who would just get the biggest thrill out of this."

Mark McCullough didn't include his dad's cause of death in the obituary, but did tell the Savannah paper he'd been ill for months.

Wrote McCullough in the notice, "Freddie was killed when he rushed into a burning orphanage to save a group of adorable children. Or maybe not. We all know how he liked to tell stories."

Click here to read the entire obituary notice.

(Atlanta Business Chronicle)

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/savannah/obituary.aspx?n=william-mccullough&pid=166950349#fbLoggedOut

QuoteWilliam "Freddie" McCullough 
ObituaryGuest Book"Didn't know Mr. Freddie but he sounds like someone I would...""Rock on Freddie my kind of man, RIP."- Terrie Lynn
"I never had the pleasure, but he is the model male to every..."- Eden Dhaliwal
"How I wish I had met you. Godspeed"
"what a great story,made want to meet him"- jason o
View Sign More Photos 
View all 48 photos
William Freddie McCullough - BLOOMINGDALE - The man. The myth. The legend. Men wanted to be him and women wanted to be with him. William Freddie McCullough died on September 11, 2013. Freddie loved deep fried Southern food smothered in Cane Syrup, fishing at Santee Cooper Lake, Little Debbie Cakes, Two and a Half Men, beautiful women, Reeses Cups and Jim Beam. Not necessarily in that order. He hated vegetables and hypocrites. Not necessarily in that order. He was a master craftsman who single -handedly built his beautiful house from the ground up. Freddie was also great at growing fruit trees, grilling chicken and ribs, popping wheelies on his Harley at 50 mph, making everyone feel appreciated and hitting Coke bottles at thirty yards with his 45. When it came to floor covering, Freddie was one of the best in the business. And he loved doing it. Freddie loved to tell stories. And you could be sure 50% of every story was true. You just never knew which 50%. Marshall Matt Dillon, Ben Cartwright and Charlie Harper were his TV heroes. And he was the hero for his six children: Mark, Shain, Clint, Brandice, Ashley and Thomas. Freddie adored the ladies. And they adored him. There isn't enough space here to list all of the women from Freddie's past. There isn't enough space in the Bloomingdale phone book. A few of the more colorful ones were Momma Margie, Crazy Pam, Big Tittie Wanda, Spacy Stacy and Sweet Melissa (he explained that nickname had nothing to do with her attitude). He attracted more women than a shoe sale at Macy's. He got married when he was 18, but it didn't last. Freddie was no quitter, however, so he gave it a shot two more times. It didn't work out with any of the wives, but he managed to stay friends with them and their parents. In between his many adventures, Freddie appeared in several films including The Ordeal of Dr. Mudd, A Time for Miracles, The Conspirator, Double Wide Blues and Pretty Fishes. When Freddie took off for that pool party in the sky, he left behind his sons Mark McCullough, Shain McCullough and his wife Amy, Clint McCullough and his wife Desiree, and Thomas McCullough and his wife Candice; and his daughters Brandice Chambers and her husband Michael, Ashley Cooler and her husband Justin; his brothers Jimmie and Eddie McCullough; and his girlfriend Lisa Hopkins; and seven delightful grandkids. Freddie was killed when he rushed into a burning orphanage to save a group of adorable children. Or maybe not. We all know how he liked to tell stories. Savannah Morning News September 14, 2013 Please sign our Obituary Guest Book at savannahnow.com/obituaries.

.Published in Savannah Morning News on September 14, 2013 

The most interesting Man in the World, Savannah edition. I'm sad I did not meet him. :(

My favorite line has to be:
Freddie adored the ladies. And they adored him. There isn't enough space here to list all of the women from Freddie's past. There isn't enough space in the Bloomingdale phone book. He attracted more women than a shoe sale at Macy's.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Now that's pretty good. We should all hope our obituaries are so interesting.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

"Webster's dictionary defines annoying as katmai. And was he ever. Universally loathed he etc..."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

His guest book on the obit currently has:
Quote1337 entries

This one is awesome:
QuoteSeptember 14, 2013
I had the pleasure of arresting Mr. McCollough in Tennessee when he and his girlfriend were in Knoxville. They both had too much to drink and were arguing over Marlboro points when they were in town looking for the hotel where Hank Williams Sr. died. He asked me if I would keep his goat for him while he was in jail. I did. Willy and Freda both left town on bond and never came back. He would call a couple of times a year to check on his goat. The goat died five years later, but Willy still called to say hello at Christmas. I still have his Zippo lighter he left in the back seat of my patrol car.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom