Need a new laptop for < $600. Suggestions?

Started by merithyn, September 18, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Note, I'm still not sold on the ribbons in office. The drop down menus were certainly a pain, but the ribbons seem just as confusing as I'm always having to turn to Google to relearn how to do things. Especially doesn't help that they appear to update locations of various tasks in newer versions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

You don't like it's face.  Fair enough. 

In terms of basic functionality it isn't all that much different though, and doesn't require much in the way of "learning a new layout."  Microsoft could definitely have done a better job of documenting things though for people who might need it.  Search, for an easy example, is exactly the same as Win 7 only there's no actual box on the screen until you start typing (press the windows key and start typing and there it goes), although I understand they've addressed this a bit in 8.1 (and there's also a search box). 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Oh you're going to be like that?  It's a start menu.  It's not that hard to figure out.

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2013, 09:00:06 PM
Note, I'm still not sold on the ribbons in office. The drop down menus were certainly a pain, but the ribbons seem just as confusing as I'm always having to turn to Google to relearn how to do things. Especially doesn't help that they appear to update locations of various tasks in newer versions.

This thing brings back menus if you don't like them:  http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/dont-ms-office-ribbon-bring-back-proper-menus.htm

Doesn't appear to work with 13, which I use, or I'd test it out for you.