Need a new laptop for < $600. Suggestions?

Started by merithyn, September 18, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

My computer has been shipped! :w00t:

From China :mad:

Won't be here for another week. :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Computer's here. I'm annoyed. :glare:

It has Windows 8. I had to have Jackson come over and show me how to work the damn thing. I'm not impressed. :mad:

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 07:47:33 PM

It has Windows 8. I had to have Jackson come over and show me how to work the damn thing. I'm not impressed. :mad:

First thing I did was banish that new Win 8 menu. Now mine really just looks like Win 7. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 07:55:45 PM

First thing I did was banish that new Win 8 menu. Now mine really just looks like Win 7. :)

But there's no start button to find programs. :(

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 07:55:45 PM

But there's no start button to find programs. :(

http://www.classicshell.net/

Brings back start menu, lets you boot directly to desktop (rather than crappy 8 menu) and let's you customize how start menu works. Has basic and advanced options.

I believe Microsoft is bring back start menu button in Windows 8.1 but I don't know when that is coming out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 08:12:45 PM

Brings back start menu, lets you boot directly to desktop (rather than crappy 8 menu) and let's you customize how start menu works. Has basic and advanced options.

I believe Microsoft is bring back start menu button in Windows 8.1 but I don't know when that is coming out.

Oh, that's much better. Thank you.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 08:17:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 08:12:45 PM

Oh, that's much better. Thank you.

Yeah, I didn't even give Win8 a chance. When I knew my computer was coming with it, I looked up how to disable it ahead of time. :blush:

Only negative is that I haven't fixed the defaults for several file types - so every now and then things open in the Windows 8 interface and I have to struggle to get back to my desktop. :D

Grey Fox

The Metro UI could be usefull if it could be use in tandem with the Desktop but no, it's either or.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

This:
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Also, Win8.1 is just around the corner.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 04, 2013, 08:48:39 AM
The Metro UI could be usefull if it could be use in tandem with the Desktop but no, it's either or.
Start8 should solve that problem.  You can go back and forth to Metro interface and Win7 style desktop at will.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2013, 09:16:18 AM
Start8 should solve that problem.  You can go back and forth to Metro interface and Win7 style desktop at will.

That's not what I mean.

I have 2 monitors. I want to have this : 1. Metro on both - nope not available 2. Use Metro on one & Desktop on the other. Simultaneously - Nope not available.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 04, 2013, 09:29:33 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2013, 09:16:18 AM

That's not what I mean.

I have 2 monitors. I want to have this : 1. Metro on both - nope not available 2. Use Metro on one & Desktop on the other. Simultaneously - Nope not available.
Ah, well, I haven't tried it on my own computers yet, only on my ex-gf laptop, so I didn't know.  Have no idea if 8.1 fixes this either.

DontSayBanana

That's not what I mean.

That's actually not a bad idea.  So, basically, you're using Metro as a launchpad taking up one screen while you work on the other, yes?
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2013, 08:37:48 PM
That's not what I mean.

That's actually not a bad idea.  So, basically, you're using Metro as a launchpad taking up one screen while you work on the other, yes?

Yes that's one way to see it. It's not actually possible tho.