The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on October 18, 2013, 12:17:17 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 18, 2013, 12:05:20 PM
This part in the previously linked Salon article is pretty telling on the Why of all this.

If you're pre-disposed to accept the leftist tripe published by Salon, I guess.

I am a lefty liberal. There's BS tripe from your side of the fence too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: frunk on October 18, 2013, 11:04:56 AM
I think chopping the election season down would help immeasurably.  About a full year of presidential election nonsense is way too much, during which hardly anything useful is done by any politician. 

Have the first primary in the first week of July, with the three smallest non-adjacent states by population (screw the Iowa/New Hampshire automatic right to be first).  Two weeks later do the next 10 smallest, followed two weeks later by the next 20 smallest, then two weeks later by the final 17.  Primaries will be done by mid-August leaving time for the party conventions and the debates.

I agree with something like this kind of change! Elections used to be a lot shorter duration, and that was probably only about the 70s or 80s, not talking a century ago.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 18, 2013, 12:22:13 PM
This part in the previously linked Salon article is pretty telling on the Why of all this.

Wait so you just admitted the article you recommended I read is BS tripe?  Poor salesmanship GF.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2013, 12:05:01 PM

I'd argue you are barking up the wrong tree.  It isn't that the super-wealthy are able to buy incredible influence (like Sheldon Adelson did by bankrolling Newt Gingrich into the White House), the problem is that businesses are able to buy congressmen for the purpose of supporting businesses big enough to buy congressmen.

Yep, agreed. I'm sure this has a lot of people becoming more and more annoyed with politics, feeling alienated.

QuoteThe donation rules should be simple:  neither the parties nor the candidates should be eligible to take money from anyone unable to vote for them (except that candidates can take money from the party they belong to, and give money to the party), and other than that rule, there are no rules.  Anyone can spend as much money as they want to on any candidate, but non-citizens and non-human persons can give nothing.

Rules need some serious changing, but look at who makes the rules! Congress! They're not too likely to make changes too significant that it will affect them so much. Enough maybe to make a show to the voters like something has been done.

Kleves

Quote from: Cecil on October 18, 2013, 11:00:04 AM
Wasnt that in the wings sometime around 1900? I´m not really well versed in early american 20th century history but I seem to recall it was more than just a suggestion.
Some people really tried to get 6-year presidential terms in the 1860s, but it didn't go so well.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Valmy

Quote from: Kleves on October 18, 2013, 12:56:03 PM
Wasnt that in the wings sometime around 1900? I´m not really well versed in early american 20th century history but I seem to recall it was more than just a suggestion.
Some people really tried to get 6-year presidential terms in the 1860s, but it didn't go so well.

:lol:

I do sort of wish that line item veto could have worked out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maximus

:lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2013, 12:06:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2013, 12:04:34 PM
That is one of the weaknesses of a consutitional system of absolute rights.  How do you rank absolute rights in priority to themselves?
That's probably why no one has a constitutional system of absolute rights.

No, that is why no one should. :P

Cecil

Yeah no shit but this is around 1910ish.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2013, 12:37:24 PMWait so you just admitted the article you recommended I read is BS tripe?  Poor salesmanship GF.

He's not the one who posted it, I was.

You can judge for yourself whether it's tripe based on the excerpts I posted :)

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2013, 01:53:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2013, 12:37:24 PMWait so you just admitted the article you recommended I read is BS tripe?  Poor salesmanship GF.

He's not the one who posted it, I was.

You can judge for yourself whether it's tripe based on the excerpts I posted :)

I didn't say he posted it.

And I was just giving him a hard time. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2013, 12:37:24 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 18, 2013, 12:22:13 PM

Wait so you just admitted the article you recommended I read is BS tripe?  Poor salesmanship GF.

All journalism, especially commentary joursnalism is BS tripe. There is no such thing has objectivity.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

sbr

http://www.kgw.com/news/Fed-workers-in-Ore-to-get-back-pay-plus-unemployment-after-shutdown-228258611.html

QuoteSome federal workers in Ore. to get back pay plus unemployment

PORTLAND --In Oregon, federal workers who applied for and received state unemployment during the shutdown will not have to pay that money back even though they'll also get back pay.

There are roughly 27,000 federal employees in Oregon with many of them returning to work Thursday for the first time since the government shutdown on Oct. 1.

The state employment department says roughly 4,400 federal employees in the state applied for unemployment during that time and the state is still working to calculate the total dollar amount that will be paid out to the furloughed workers.

Tom Fuller, Communications Director for the Oregon Employment Depeartment, told KGW that federal employees won't have to repay their state unemployment because there was never any guarantee furloughed workers would get back pay after the shutdown.

"There's a rule in place. It was designed to protect private employees who had no guarantee of returning to their job," Fuller told KGW. "We have to apply it. We don't have a choice in this case."

"(I feel) fantastic, very fantastic. In fact, it was cool to see everybody just immediately get on their computers, hitting their emails. All I see is people trying to catch up. It's really cool," said Todd Curtis who works with the Bureau of Land Management in downtown Portland.

"Oh God, I'm glad to be back at work because it's so hard to just sit around and do nothing going like, 'OK, what's going to happen today? Do I go to work? Do I not go to work?" Louisa Evers said.

Washington estimates roughly 3,400 federal workers applied for unemployment during the shutdown. But, unlike Oregon, those workers will have to pay back the benefits they collected.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2013, 06:52:55 PM
Here's a shocker: Republican who tries to make government work, treats black people with respect and appeals to the electorate polls well :o
Christie won 21% of the African-American vote and 56% of the Hispanic vote - both more than double what he won last time. There's a lesson for Republicans there, if they want it.
Let's bomb Russia!