The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

People and companies have all been receiving their rebates from overcharges this year.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2013, 12:59:56 PM
So that looks like the offer being floated.  Fund government, lift ceiling, after that's done Boehner gets device tax as a fig leaf, in a separate bill.

Which gets voted down in the Senate :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

I must admit, the battle over the medical devices tax rather baffles me.  It's a bad tax, given that it's on sales and not profits, it provides a tiny amount of income in the big picture, and it hits manufacturing (because they can't pass it on), which means it hits jobs.

The only argument I can see against repealing it seems to be CdM's, which is that it is just the camel's nose.  Frankly, that's not a very convincing argument. 

If giving up that tax is what it takes to get things moving, then that's a win-win.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

I dunno, g...a 2.3% sales tax on grossly overpriced and marked up equipment isnt as impactful as the industry says it is. 

Shit, we had to bar their vendors from the hospital, since they were overbilling their stock in Perioperative.  Even the Orthos said they only need so many $15,000 screws.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2013, 01:19:03 PM
People and companies have all been receiving their rebates from overcharges this year.

wut?

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2013, 01:41:20 PM
I dunno, g...a 2.3% sales tax on grossly overpriced and marked up equipment isnt as impactful as the industry says it is. 

Shit, we had to bar their vendors from the hospital, since they were overbilling their stock in Perioperative.  Even the Orthos said they only need so many $15,000 screws.
The use of the word "impactful" automatically renders your argument void. It is in that class of words like "proactive" that should not exist.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

You need to build more bridges across stakehholder silos, AmScip.
During posted office hours, of course.

CountDeMoney

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2013, 03:39:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2013, 03:36:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2013, 02:54:58 PM

A lot of people project their desires on the Tea Party.  It's so easy because they don't actually stand for anything, they have no real shape or form and it's human nature to try to find meaning and patterns in things.  It's political pareidolia.  They can be defined only by what they are against, and that is Obama.

I'd never heard of "pareidolia" before, and it's a great word. Thanks, Raz!  :)

Me neither; it is almost meant for me.  :)

Now to work it into a conversation, once I've worked out how to pronounce it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2013, 01:41:20 PM

A tax on profits would be fine... and is fine, since it already exists.  That would catch the effect of the markups and gross overpricing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 15, 2013, 12:42:49 PM
There might exist somewhere a Republican member of the House willing to get crucified by the Tea Party to save the country. I'm not convinced Boehner is that guy. He has stuck himself out there before, when he voted with only 85 members of his caucus to approve the legislation preventing the Fiscal Cliff, for example. But he could at least hide behind the fact he was preventing some portion of automatic tax increases with that.

I think the real question is whether there is anyone with a spine in the Republican party who can call out the Tea Party members rather than allowing the party to die on this particularly inglorious hill.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2013, 01:36:40 PM
I must admit, the battle over the medical devices tax rather baffles me.  It's a bad tax, given that it's on sales and not profits, it provides a tiny amount of income in the big picture, and it hits manufacturing (because they can't pass it on), which means it hits jobs.

The only argument I can see against repealing it seems to be CdM's, which is that it is just the camel's nose.  Frankly, that's not a very convincing argument. 

If giving up that tax is what it takes to get things moving, then that's a win-win.

I agree an excise tax on medical devices has poor tax incidence. However I don't want to decrease any revenue for any reason, so I'd want $30bn in revenue from another source if we repealed the medical device tax.

11B4V

This whole fucking thing is comical. That screechy cunt Palin at the WW2 memorial yesterday. Like you have cause to be there you tea party twat. The Dem sea hag, Pelosi.....
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".